• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Depressed/had enough

E

Everton152

I don’t think there has ever been a starting point to the way I feel, but certain things trigger a more dark and depressive state of mind. There is a point where you don’t know what to do so much that you think the only option you have left is to just end it all. Its the easy way out, your family and friends don’t have to watch you struggle with your own demons and you can let everything go. But is that the best ending to your story.....
Its starts with this feeling of anxiety and self hate where you wake up everyday thinking your not good enough for anyone and then over think every little scenario in your head, over and over and over again until you get to the point of wanting to smash your head into a wall until the thinking stops. Certain people will tell you to ‘Man Up’ and ‘Just get on with it’ but for someone like me, and so many more people around the world, it just isn’t that simple. You can’t just switch off your thoughts because they creep up on you when you least expect it. When your trying to sleep, trying to enjoy things in life, and then the thoughts slowly catch up to you. They hit you where it really hurts and the weird thing about it is that its you hurting yourself. No one else is saying these things except that quiet voice inside your head that gets louder and louder every time you try and bury it. Its always there, and its always waiting.
Some people feel ashamed of admitting there problems, I know I did. I have been told to ‘Man up’ when was in a vulnerable place, all I wanted to do was talk and she clearly wasn’t interested in listening. That was the moment I knew she never cared. She was willing to put someone down so much with two very simple words because the conversation wasn’t about her. But you know what, in relationships and friendships, the person is meant to be there for you know matter what and vice versa. And I would of helped her through anything but she didn’t care. I know that now. In a mental perspective the little voice inside your head tells you that you weren’t good enough and that its all your fault. When in reality it was her, she wasn’t good enough. But your thoughts will still keep telling you that it is your fault.
Now friendships. Well there are certain things that can happen to completely destroy a friendship and the opinion you had on that person. I’m not going to say specifics but when you cross the line between a friend and his ex then there is no going back. When a friend does that to you it means they have and have never had any respect for you. They never really cared, they just wanted you out of the picture so they could sweep in and take what they used you for. Now people might think that there isn’t a problem with a “friend” having relations with your ex. But for me its a no go, you can’t trust someone if they have no boundaries, they clearly don’t care how anyone else feels except them self. That friendship meant nothing to him and now I have to understand that he was never a true friend. When something like this happens you need to go through the people you classed as friends and say ‘who are my true friends, who will be there if I’m at my lowest point in life and I need advice, who can I trust with anything’. When you figure who your true friends are, block the others out and don’t let them back in. They will never be there for you. They will act like they care, might reply to text every so often, but they are doing that to cover there tracks, to take you away from what they are doing in reality, which is stabbing you in the back.
Those two scenarios have been my triggers, but if I am honest, my mind has been this way for a long, long time. Burying it is not an option for anyone going through these feelings. It really does make things worse, but you have to find the right person to talk to, someone who is caring and even if they don’t understand, they will at least try to understand. When you find the right person, they will listen to every word you say, without judgement. No one should judge someone else when they have no idea what is going on in there head, and if someone is not supportive then you need to say two very important words to them, ‘Fuck Off’. You don’t need people like that in your life. Stay strong, and don’t forget how important you are.

jajingna

jajingna

Statements like "Man up" show an ignorance that I have trouble comprehending. How is there still this blindness towards such a common and devastating illness? Is depression such a hard thing to accept as real? Or is it just that those who've never been so afflicted, and who lack the heart to care, will not see what a cruel thing depression can be?

It's true that no one can fully know the experience of another, but man, you can look up "depression" online and become educated in little time, to the harshness of it. It just boggles my mind that people can dismiss it, like they can't be bothered.

Another possibility though, I guess, is the empathy fatigue some people experience. Burned out from suffering in their own lives, or having been witness to so much of it in their family. Then there's the urge to say, no more please, I've had enough.

One more explanation for the dismissal and trivialization of another's struggle could be the thinking: "Well, it's all about being strong. I'm strong enough to deal with my concerns. Why not you?" This neglects the part where it is an illness. Some people seem unable to accept that, as though every organ besides the brain is allowed to get sick.

OCDguy

OCDguy

There are Ex's, and then there are Ex's... May I ask, how long has she been your Ex? :hug:

E

Everton152

There are Ex's, and then there are Ex's... May I ask, how long has she been your Ex? :hug:
A couple of months, but thats not the issue, the lack of emotional support she gave me when we were together when she knew i had mental issues and the fact that she lives in the same street and works with my mum so i cant shut her out and seems to constantly throw herself at every friend i have, thats my issue.

OCDguy

OCDguy

I doubt if that detracts from all the Love, Support and Commitment you invested in your relationship though (I'm guessing here) :hug:

E

Everton152

I doubt if that detracts from all the Love, Support and Commitment you invested in your relationship though (I'm guessing here) :hug:
You're right, I tried my best, like i always do. And thats all i can do.

OCDguy

OCDguy

Thing is all that is still raw, I know if it were me I would feel cheated...

E

Everton152

Thing is all that is still raw, I know if it were me I would feel cheated...
I suppose you're right, espescially when my so called good/no longer friend can jump in there and try and hide it from me, and now think that im in the wrong for basically blocking him out of my life. I don't need his negativity right now or ever.

OCDguy

OCDguy

I can only start to understand... Is there anyone else you can turn to for support etc. (perhaps family). I find the Forum a great source for help and support too :)

E

Everton152

I can only start to understand... Is there anyone else you can turn to for support etc. (perhaps family). I find the Forum a great source for help and support too :)
I have got my family, i finally told them the last couple of days about my dark thoughts and they have been very supportive, its going to take time but im gunna get through this 💪

OCDguy

OCDguy

Having the right support is huge :) Speaking of which has your Doctor been a help :)

OCDguy

OCDguy

What has generally worked for me apart from medication is being able to confide/talk. I think there should be more options/opportunities available for people today...

E

Everton152

What has generally worked for me apart from medication is being able to confide/talk. I think there should be more options/opportunities available for people today...
I agree, i have been given some phone numbers off my doctor also, but i know i have a great family who will always be here for me. But some people dont have that and they need people to reach out too when they need to talk and there isnt enough of that

OCDguy

OCDguy

I agree, i have been given some phone numbers off my doctor also, but i know i have a great family who will always be here for me. But some people dont have that and they need people to reach out too when they need to talk and there isnt enough of that
Couldn't agree more :)