• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Depressed/break up / suicidal

D

Daveyboy

Hi I just broke up with my partner of 24 years. I had been suffering depression for a few months and used alcohol as a crutch which ended in me abusing it to the point of where I had to get out of my mind to escape the depression. Now I am left with nothing. No partner / kids. Spend most of my day. Walking thinking of ways of suicide. I thing the end is very near for me. Can’t do this anymore.

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

Im sorry you feel this way. You must be hurting thinking of all these things. I understand where your coming from. The more you think about it the worse the pain ends up being.

Try to think positively and proactively. I know getting sober is hard. But try to take that first step. Don’t miss out on your life by being wasted.

Remember when one door closes another opens...

D

Daveyboy

Thanks. Haven’t had a drink and don’t want one just want this pain to go away

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm sorry you're feeling so low, I hope things improve for you soon. It may help to have a look at these two pages on the forum: Suicidal Crisis and Mental Health Forum - Getting Help about what to do if you're feeling suicidal, or if you need emergency help. I hope you can use the forum for support during this difficult time.

You may also wish to contact the Samaritans, their number is 116 123, day or night they are there for you.

Please take care.

R

Rufus

Hi I just broke up with my partner of 24 years. I had been suffering depression for a few months and used alcohol as a crutch which ended in me abusing it to the point of where I had to get out of my mind to escape the depression. Now I am left with nothing. No partner / kids. Spend most of my day. Walking thinking of ways of suicide. I thing the end is very near for me. Can’t do this anymore.
Hey davey, I've just broke up with my wife after we've been together for 7 years, I feel your pain and I know what it's like to use alcohol to forget things, it's the one thing I don't want to slip back into as I stopped drinking when I met her, even though I really just want to go get a drink, just as others have said to me over the last few days, I hope you manage to get through this and get back on top form

D

Daveyboy

Hey davey, I've just broke up with my wife after we've been together for 7 years, I feel your pain and I know what it's like to use alcohol to forget things, it's the one thing I don't want to slip back into as I stopped drinking when I met her, even though I really just want to go get a drink, just as others have said to me over the last few days, I hope you manage to get through this and get back on top form
Cheers rufus. You know the pain know drinking is going to make it worse. So haven’t had one. It’s hard though. All alone with your depression and your mind whoring away. Cheers for the reply. Look after yourself.

OCDguy

OCDguy

Sorry to hear of everything you are going through :hug: Are you still on talking terms with your partner? Have you spoken to your Doctor etc. about everything you are going through? It's important you have stability right now (financial etc.) and that you have the support of your friends and family. Are you also looking after yourself, your health is important (healthy food, regular sleep patterns, and a bit of fitness). Hope this helps :hug:

D

Daveyboy

Yes got all of the above. Apart form talking to friends and family. Text my ex partner about kids and money etc but even when I do get a overwhelming feeling of guilt, shame and disappointment of how I have got to where I have got again but worse. I suffered a major depression episode about 4 years ago and thought I knew the signs and how I could cope. Unfortunately I never learned my lesson and am left with nothing but depression as my only friend. And with lockdown looming I don’t think me and my own mind will cope.

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello Daveyboy and welcome to the forum. I think you are doing so well to have been able to not have a drink. That is so hard. It is understandable to use a crutch when we feel depressed. I think what is important now is remind yourself that you are depressed. You are not a bad person. Depression can be treated so please do not give up hope.

R

Rufus

Cheers rufus. You know the pain know drinking is going to make it worse. So haven’t had one. It’s hard though. All alone with your depression and your mind whoring away. Cheers for the reply. Look after yourself.
Well done mate proud of ya, yea the mind just never wants to cease, but gradually it will do, just stay strong and positive, do right by you and things can fall into place especially when people see how well you can do