• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Depressed and getting no help from doctors

A

abcxyz

Hi all.

A little background...

I was born into an abusive family so ended up going into care at age 6. I was passed around the system until I turned 18. I was referred to CAMHS at a young age for various issues, including an eating disorder. I made a suicide attempt in my teens which led to hospital admission. I was put on fluoxetine which helped a lot. I took myself off them after I started to feel better.

Fast forward to 2020. I moved to a new area of the country in February for a new job. Lockdown came in March and, having no family and little friends to connect with, I became depressed again. I spoke to the doctors who put be back onto fluoxetine. These didn't help with my mood and gave me bad tinnitus. I then tried sertraline. No help from these, and the tinnitus continued. I was then put onto mirtazapine. The tinnitus went and I started to feel better. Until the weight gain started.

I spoke to the GP about my weight gain about 2 months ago. I asked if I can swap the mirtazapine. She told me that weight gain is a common side effect of mirtazapine, but the answer was no. She told me to make lifestyle changes. I told her I was eating the same as I always had. Still the answer was no.

I called the GP's again today and managed to speak to a different doctor. She was as cold and unfriendly as the last. I told her I have now put on 3 stone/19 kg since I started mirtazapine and that I am now classed as overweight according to BMI. I told her about my previous history with food. I told her I feel disgusted with myself and that I don't want to eat. Whenever I do, I feel guilty/ashamed. She didn't sound bothered. I asked if I can start a new medication. She told me that doctors can only prescribe three antidepressants (fluoxetine, sertraline, mirtazapine) which I'm pretty certain is not true. She told me that if none of those three work, then there's "not much else we can do"!

I have, through gritted teeth, agreed to go back onto sertraline just to stop the weight gain. But they didn't help my mood last time round and I feel 10x worse now than I did then. I'm stuck. Depressed, fat, lonely, and fearing a return of tinnitus that will stop me from sleeping. I don't want to eat but I'm scared of going down that road again.

What can I do?

sam999

sam999

hey i am sorry for everything that happened to you. but being overweight isnt something you should be disgusted of.
i dont really know what else i can tell you:/ hope everything will get better for you<3

P

Purpleplum

Don't give up...keep pushing them. Also, study things on your own (Google) so that you know more about what they're saying and if they're telling you everything. Keep looking for a doctor who will listen.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Getting more depressed every day. Depression Forum 8
CKM1234 Being a Virgin is really getting to me and making me feel really depressed Depression Forum 17
L My depressed fiancée doesn't want me around anymore. Depression Forum 2
D I just let my problems stay as is and I don't do anything about them... too anxious to do what's needed, too depressed to want to do anything at all Depression Forum 2
S Does anyone have issues sleeping etc when severely depressed? Depression Forum 3
S Need some advice about a man with depression (I am depressed too) Depression Forum 12
L Depressed Depression Forum 7
L Depressed as can't make friends and people keep ghosting me. Why? Depression Forum 9
L Depressed and so anxious about my current job situation Depression Forum 10
DistantOcean What songs resonate with your depressed feelings? Depression Forum 7
L Very Depressed Depression Forum 5
R My work and home life is making me depressed. Advice please. Depression Forum 2
C What are your passions and hobbies that you turn to when you're depressed? Depression Forum 23
E I'm feeling severely depressed and it's not waning Depression Forum 9
N I am depressed Depression Forum 1
M Waking up depressed Depression Forum 5
Blooming STILL DEPRESSED. Depression Forum 7
C Blood test to measure if we are depressed Depression Forum 10
S Middle-aged and depressed Depression Forum 21
L Depressed Sad Alone Depression Forum 9
S Depressed no confidence or hope in life. Depression Forum 6
MrBond007 Depressed, love-sick and hungover. Depression Forum 2
C Is my depressed boyfriend going to leave me? Depression Forum 13
M How old are you and why are you depressed ? Depression Forum 31
L Depressed partner- seeking advice Depression Forum 5
I Why I Am Depressed. Depression Forum 3
I So Depressed I can't Even Write This But I Will Try Depression Forum 9
I Very Depressed Depression Forum 3
W Depressed mom with 2nd one on the way Depression Forum 1
Blooming I feel rather depressed today. Depression Forum 5
L Hi. New here but very depressed. Depression Forum 4
S If I wasn't depressed, would I recognise myself? Depression Forum 4
T Do you know why you are depressed Depression Forum 36
T Advice for the depressed Depression Forum 24
D Feel so depressed Depression Forum 2
D Unbelievably depressed and living in constant fear Depression Forum 17
D Depressed, hopeless, suicidal. Depression Forum 7
P Can I be depressed without knowing?!! Depression Forum 5
A I'm so depressed. Depression Forum 6
K Am i depressed? Depression Forum 4
F Depressed Girlfriend is going through a hard time Depression Forum 8
L Depressed and Feeling Inadequate to My Loved Ones Depression Forum 4
T Feel depressed since Trump lost Depression Forum 5
L Chronically depressed and alone Depression Forum 13
M Living a double life, being depressed and having to fake not Depression Forum 8
J Need some help I'm feeling very depressed the moment and just do not feel good Depression Forum 4
I Feeling so depressed and fed up Depression Forum 8
L I was already depressed, then my boyfriend died next to me while we were sleeping. Depression Forum 16
kimidare How to talk about depressed feelings ? Depression Forum 5
L TRIGGER WARNING Very Depressed Depression Forum 15