• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Depressed and getting no help from doctors

A

abcxyz

Hi all.

A little background...

I was born into an abusive family so ended up going into care at age 6. I was passed around the system until I turned 18. I was referred to CAMHS at a young age for various issues, including an eating disorder. I made a suicide attempt in my teens which led to hospital admission. I was put on fluoxetine which helped a lot. I took myself off them after I started to feel better.

Fast forward to 2020. I moved to a new area of the country in February for a new job. Lockdown came in March and, having no family and little friends to connect with, I became depressed again. I spoke to the doctors who put be back onto fluoxetine. These didn't help with my mood and gave me bad tinnitus. I then tried sertraline. No help from these, and the tinnitus continued. I was then put onto mirtazapine. The tinnitus went and I started to feel better. Until the weight gain started.

I spoke to the GP about my weight gain about 2 months ago. I asked if I can swap the mirtazapine. She told me that weight gain is a common side effect of mirtazapine, but the answer was no. She told me to make lifestyle changes. I told her I was eating the same as I always had. Still the answer was no.

I called the GP's again today and managed to speak to a different doctor. She was as cold and unfriendly as the last. I told her I have now put on 3 stone/19 kg since I started mirtazapine and that I am now classed as overweight according to BMI. I told her about my previous history with food. I told her I feel disgusted with myself and that I don't want to eat. Whenever I do, I feel guilty/ashamed. She didn't sound bothered. I asked if I can start a new medication. She told me that doctors can only prescribe three antidepressants (fluoxetine, sertraline, mirtazapine) which I'm pretty certain is not true. She told me that if none of those three work, then there's "not much else we can do"!

I have, through gritted teeth, agreed to go back onto sertraline just to stop the weight gain. But they didn't help my mood last time round and I feel 10x worse now than I did then. I'm stuck. Depressed, fat, lonely, and fearing a return of tinnitus that will stop me from sleeping. I don't want to eat but I'm scared of going down that road again.

What can I do?

sam999

sam999

hey i am sorry for everything that happened to you. but being overweight isnt something you should be disgusted of.
i dont really know what else i can tell you:/ hope everything will get better for you<3

P

Purpleplum

Don't give up...keep pushing them. Also, study things on your own (Google) so that you know more about what they're saying and if they're telling you everything. Keep looking for a doctor who will listen.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K My partner is getting more and more depressed and I don't know how to help exactly Depression Forum 2
D My mum is severely depressed and she is only getting worse, please help. Depression Forum 2
S Getting more depressed every day. Depression Forum 8
CKM1234 Being a Virgin is really getting to me and making me feel really depressed Depression Forum 17
L Getting Depressed As It Gets Closer To Winter Depression Forum 6
S Getting very depressed, completely shut off & isolated, think of the "S" word every night... Depression Forum 14
7 Pretty depressed Depression Forum 5
T Permanently depressed just struggle o function. Anyone elseor is it just me? Depression Forum 5
mirrormaker is adviceable to live with your parents if you are a depressed adult? Depression Forum 7
H Too depressed to get help for depression. Ironic no? Depression Forum 32
P Oh God I'm so depressed Depression Forum 11
J Should I quit my job if it is making me depressed? Depression Forum 11
L Very Depressed Depression Forum 10
S Been feeling depressed for years Depression Forum 32
purehavoc Depressed,angry,totaly suicidal... Depression Forum 8
C Depressed after crush on girl, who left work Depression Forum 7
Bod Depressed and raging Depression Forum 18
L Depressed but can see there is light Depression Forum 8
D Depressed GF Depression Forum 3
queenleblanc I thought my depression was linked to my failure. I'm still depressed even though I "succeeded". Depression Forum 5
S Depressed, overweight. Lonely and lacking motivation Depression Forum 28
C Bedridden depressed, hopeless, trigger warning Depression Forum 6
C What are the basic things you do to help when depressed? Depression Forum 14
A Fancy Carp Depressed, lonely, awkward. Anyone want to just shoot the breeze? Depression Forum 71
I Feeling depressed lost my job Depression Forum 5
FallingLeaves "This could be why you're depressed or anxious" Depression Forum 19
L Depressed for a long time Depression Forum 6
whyoverandover (was mirrorImage123) can’t stand being depressed from ptsd Depression Forum 3
O Feeling more depressed Depression Forum 5
T Suicide attempt = depressed? Depression Forum 2
J I tend to get more depressed at night. Depression Forum 16
K My depressed boyfriend dumped me does he come back? Depression Forum 9
Amelia2020 Feel depressed about how distant and cold my family is Depression Forum 6
I Feel very depressed Depression Forum 21
J Depressed friend ignoring me Depression Forum 6
L Feeling Depressed Depression Forum 5
P I feel so useless and depressed because I can't drive Depression Forum 2
L Depressed partner help Depression Forum 2
T I think my friend is depressed. Depression Forum 7
A Dating someone depressed: What can I do? Depression Forum 3
C Relationship Troubles and Depressed Partner (depressed boyfriend) Depression Forum 1
L My depressed fiancée doesn't want me around anymore. Depression Forum 2
D I just let my problems stay as is and I don't do anything about them... too anxious to do what's needed, too depressed to want to do anything at all Depression Forum 4
S Does anyone have issues sleeping etc when severely depressed? Depression Forum 3
S Need some advice about a man with depression (I am depressed too) Depression Forum 12
L Depressed Depression Forum 7
L Depressed as can't make friends and people keep ghosting me. Why? Depression Forum 13
L Depressed and so anxious about my current job situation Depression Forum 10
DistantOcean What songs resonate with your depressed feelings? Depression Forum 7
L Very Depressed Depression Forum 5