• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Depressed after socializing...

C

cmg95

I don't really know what this is classified as so i'm just posting it under anxiety.

So i've realized that after hanging out with certain people that i'm not exactly comfortable around, I get in a really depressed and tired feeling mood. I get depressed because of how anxious I was during the time I spend with them. I also feel annoyed with myself that I couldn't say everything I wanted to say to or contribute to the conversation due to the immense anxiety that blocked it from coming out. This seems to happen after every situation where i go out and socialize with people i'm not as close as family with. I feel hopeless because as much as I want to make and keep friendships, I can never put my anxiety out of the way and settle my nerves. And feeling depressed after going out and doing something when i should feel replenished and happy is scaring me. I did not always have this feeling, it's just showing recently.

Has anybody else experienced this, can anybody help?

C

cmg95

okay thank you very much for this! i'm glad you can, on some level, understand what i'm going through:)

V

vimes

I'm always anxious in social situations and need time alone to recover but it seems that you have not always been this way. Perhaps you just need some time to get your anxiety under control and perhaps trying more quiet social scenarios with close friends or family and gently work your way up until you gain confidence for bigger groups etc.
Perhaps having a close friend with you when meeting someone new so that you feel more confident.
I deal with anxiety by controlling what my mind dwells on,(I'm not always successful), by focusing on something in the hear and now, for example something that is being discussed or what is on the table or anything other than anxiety thoughts.