• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Depressed about coming back from holiday

E

english rose

I'm going on holiday on Thursday to Cyprus (paid for by my mum, I'm broke), staying 10 nights, this holiday was booked nearly a year ago, but instead of feeling happy about having a holiday - I'm dreading being back at home with the holiday behind me & nothing to look forward to. I'm also finding it difficult to find the energy to do all the preparation - ie ironing clothes, doing something about my very hairy legs & so on; also I'm 'churned up' worrying that the trains will not be running properly on Thursday morning & I'll be late getting to the airport & thus miss my flight.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
do you really need to iron your clothes? the only time i do is for a job interview.
have you got a fixed train ticket or can you get an earlier one?

E

english rose

do you really need to iron your clothes? the only time i do is for a job interview.
I am OCD about ironing, every item must be crease-free or else I just won't feel 'right', a combination of this & my extreme lethargy means that each item takes me about half an hour to iron.

E

english rose

I plan on getting an earlier train than I need to.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I think planning on getting an earlier train is a good idea, that way you don't need to worry about rushing or being late.

Try to do as much preparation as early as possible, that way you don't have to worry to much the day before you go.
Have you made lists? I always make a list when I pack to go somewhere, even if it's only for a night.

Have you heard of those vacuum/air sealed bags that you can get for packing clothing?
They really helped me when I went abroad a few years ago.

Also, what I was going to say is, I wonder if you can write down some things that you enjoy while you're on holiday and see if you can carry on some of those habits when you arrive back home?
Ok, you won't be able to bring the sunshine and sea home with you - but there are certain holiday habits - i.e. eating certain foods, afternoon siestas, walks outside in nature - that you could continue when you get back that might help you feel better.

Blackdog69

Blackdog69

Sometimes the biggest hurdles are in he mind, in fact most of them are...Set yourself a target to do one or two ironing items once that's done you can do extra the point is you conquered the challenge, it builds confidence. I have a saying for you "small steps big strides". Also you can't live tomorrow till it comes....getting to you holiday destination is n achievement keep reinforcing the things you achieve....You will get the benefit of the whole holiday experience coming home brings natural sadness but memories can never be removed. Don't know if this helped but don't ever think you can't achieve this you are more than capable....go and have fun in the sun....BD