• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Depot injection/Community treatment order

D

Decco

Hi guys, i'm new so any replies will be greatly appreciated. :)
Basically i'm 24 and was diagnosed with schizophrenia on my first admission to hospital in 2010. After being sectioned for the third time and continuing to not take oral medication i was put on a depot injection and a community treatment order. I am now on 75mg of paliperidone every month. Although i was experiencing strange thoughts/ delusions i have never heard voices, never self harmed, am motivated, keep myself clean ect. and haven't experienced these kind of thoughts since my last hospitalization more than a year ago. I am also studying the second year of an undergraduate maths course, which is hard since i was sectioned at the end of my first year.
The medication i'm on is giving me unwanted side effects which in turn is causing my mood to be constantly low and since my community treatment order is being considered for renewal(already renewed once) in February i'm finding concentrating on anything else is becoming increasingly difficult.
I have never really spoke about the strange thoughts that i was having to my CPN/psychiatric doctor before and was wondering if anyone had any advice as to how to approach the situation with them as i feel that the medication does nothing for me but they will most likely view this as lack of insight into my illness.
Like i said any advice or similar experiences will be greatly appreciated. thanks :unsure:

BillFish

BillFish

Hi guys, i'm new so any replies will be greatly appreciated. :)
Basically i'm 24 and was diagnosed with schizophrenia on my first admission to hospital in 2010. After being sectioned for the third time and continuing to not take oral medication i was put on a depot injection and a community treatment order. I am now on 75mg of paliperidone every month. Although i was experiencing strange thoughts/ delusions i have never heard voices, never self harmed, am motivated, keep myself clean ect. and haven't experienced these kind of thoughts since my last hospitalization more than a year ago. I am also studying the second year of an undergraduate maths course, which is hard since i was sectioned at the end of my first year.
The medication i'm on is giving me unwanted side effects which in turn is causing my mood to be constantly low and since my community treatment order is being considered for renewal(already renewed once) in February i'm finding concentrating on anything else is becoming increasingly difficult.
I have never really spoke about the strange thoughts that i was having to my CPN/psychiatric doctor before and was wondering if anyone had any advice as to how to approach the situation with them as i feel that the medication does nothing for me but they will most likely view this as lack of insight into my illness.
Like i said any advice or similar experiences will be greatly appreciated. thanks :unsure:
Hi, I see nobody answered your post, kudos for keeping up the maths course mate, most people would have binned it having been sectioned half way through it !:clap:

Mark_01

Mark_01

Welcome to the forum, Decco, what strange thoughts are you having? Just took my morning med, Bupropion, and am having trouble getting my thoughts together. Be better after a few cups of coffee and the medication starts to "work".

R

Rose19602

Hey,
I don't have experience of this myself, but understand your concerns about what to say to get away from compulsory treatment.

Could you talk about the content of your delusional thoughts here, so that others can advise you better.

I'm just thinking that if they are thoughts that imply danger to yourself or others, it would be pretty dodgy to confide them, whereas if they are not you may achieve your aim of appearing to have insight into your diagnosis.

Really well done on keeping up with the maths degree btw. Could this and your obvious motivation to engage and manage your life effectively not also be taken into account?

Have you considered getting the help of a mental health advocate? Not sure what rights you have, but maybe they could advise you best. Maybe google this for your area.

I wish you luck. It's a difficult diagnosis to handle at your age and for the record, I think you have done really well.

xxx

D

Decco

Hi guys, thanks for the posts. I had a meeting with my cpn today. She basically said that my cto will probably be renewed for another year but I'm not totally unempowered by it as worst comes to worst if I was to stop taking the depot injection my psychiatrist would have to justify sect ironing me again as my cpn and mother don't think I'm mentally ill at the moment.
I also spoke to my cpn about changing to abilify/aripiprazole depot as paliperidone has significantly increased my prolactin levels which is giving me a lot of side effects. Does anyone know much about this drug?
Also as to the delusions basically it was that I thought I can kind of read the minds/ or guess what people were thinking and I mostly did this when I was watching television. Strange I know.

fazza

fazza

Good luck with getting off the CTO. I am not on a CTO I too do not take oral medication as my thoughts tell me that it is being poisioned by the NHS. I get 50mg of risperidone consta every 2 weeks.

I have a delusion that my wife is trying to poision me under the instructions of the NHS. When I am well I sort of believe her but it is difficult when I am ill.

If the side effects are really that troublesome I would ask for a change of medication. Be open and honest with your doctor and team and hopefully your honesty will show that you will be med compliant and not a risl to yourself. Sorry I have only limited advice to give but I hope you get of the terrible CTO's

D

Decco

To fazza
Thanks, I have also asked my cpn to put me on a waiting list for a psychologist and may attend a hearing voices group. She also gave me a mindfulness cd which can help with pain and anxiety which I am going to try out. Hopefully this will give my psychiatrist more than she can ask for in terms of compliance and personal insight.
Ps. Have you really thought about how your partner would benefit from conspiring with the nhs to poison you? Do you not think that she nothing but compassion towards you?