DEPERSONIZATION and Difficulty initiating Swallowing

C

CrazyFun

Hi All,

I'm new to the community.

I'm a 27 year old female and After a stressful 6 months i think I have been experiencing depersonalization. Sometimes my limbs feel like they don't belong to me, like they are slower, when in reality they are moving just fine.
It feels like I'm in another world. Almost like a trance like state, and when this happens, I have problems initiating swallowing. It does not get stuck, and I do not have a lump in the throat feeling, I just have to maybe try twice if I'm distracted.
So basically I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced problems initiating swallowing while they have depersonalization? Also my first bout of depersonalization started after I had my first panic attack.

Does this even sound like depersonalization?

Its really getting me down.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Hi there.

What you described is what I have experienced with severe anxiety.Especially the swallowing part and why I always,always carry a bottle of water with me since taking sips helps with that.

Are you seeing anyone for this?It might be a good idea to if you're not so you can learn to manage it.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

welcome to the forum

i relate to most of what you say and i suffer from dissociation really badly

as sunnydaze asks ,are you seeing anybody to help with this?

so glad you joined the forum im sure you will find lots of support here
love Lu x

C

CrazyFun

Thank you so much for your reply.

No i'm not seeing anyone about it, but I was thinking to.

I sometimes suffer with bouts of anxiety over the years but alot changed for me in the last 6 months, I lost someone very close to me and then months after that I actually fell in to a deep depression and severe anxiety. This resulted in my many many neurological symptoms that I now think may have been depersonalization all along.

Its gives me some form of comfort to know that this can be caused by anxiety, its very scary not being able to swallow properly. Some times this goes away for a couple of weeks, and then returns for a few of days and gets worse when im really tired. But like i said, it feels like i'm in a trance like state.

How did you get over this?

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

It very well could be depersonalization.For me personally though,I experienced those things with anxiety.It's best to see a professional about it to find out what your experiences are.

The swallowing thing for me got much better during and after therapy.I still have times where it comes back but usually sipping water does the trick.

schizolanza

schizolanza

Meds can do this too. Happened to me the swallowing issue. It went away after a few months. Now I get dry mouth when I'm anxious.