• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Depersonilisation

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Has anyone else have/had this? I have just been told this is what my periods of been there but not really there. What do u do to work your way through it

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Hi integal, do not really understand depersonalization - is it like daydreaming somewhat, then returning to reality? Please describe how you feel so I can understand better, and perhaps help etc. Until then here is a :hug:

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Yer.... kind of like that... like I am not real or when I am doing things I am at the bottom of a hole. Its very strange feeling

icetsunami

icetsunami

Founding Member
My experience of this I would describe as like being a ghost and walking among the living. Not invisible as this would suggest some attachment. Just passively observing. Extrinsic to everything.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
When this happens to me i'm not sure if im awake or alseep and i get extremly distressed and end up in tears. I get the feeling im not here at all and that everything in my life is a dream and when i wake up everything will have disappeared including my family.

Apparantly lack of sleep can and stress make this worse. I was also taught relaxation techniques. You MH team shld be able to give you some advice:hug:

lucid scream

lucid scream

i spent a few years of my life like that, thinking i was dead and was just waiting to accept it. i dunno, it just went away after a while.
ive also been through the dream thing, i will dream i did something i was supposed to do and then be embarrassed that i never got it done, or something similar, like having a conversation with my wife then not understanding when she acts like it never happened. it can be a real problem.

Eleison

Eleison

Yes. I have this. It's more part of my Complex PTSD stuff for me...

Sometimes I catch myself and don't feel like I'm in my body, I wonder who this person is in my body, and feel kind of outside myself a lot.

What helps is to observe what's happening, and be aware of it without judging it, and ground myself by being kind to myself and aware of my feet on the ground, and my hands touching a scarf or a book.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Yer.... i have a new phrase for it .. I call it my brain in my feet moment :LOL::LOL::LOL:

S

SJD

i get something similar to this. I will have weeks when I refuse to talk to anybody, because I dont feel they'll hear me, i will wonder for hours in the streets and fields of my hometown with my ipod because I dont feel as if anyone can see me, or if anyone will notice Im missing.
I get this sick feeling in my stomach when people look at me, and i cant work out what they are looking at, are they looking at me? or can they tell im not like everybody else?

all so strange.

S

Shadow

I'm not sure if this applies to what the topic is about, but I get very strange feelings sometimes - only when I'm out and about around people

I often find myself moving from "A" to "B" and going through the motions of routine, not really aware of what's around me or who's around me, or even perhaps what I say - I just drift around doing what I set out to do, come back home and not really recall what I had done or remember any significant details of my journey... just the fact that I got what I needed to get.

It's very odd.

J

jamesdean

what happens 2 me

i think i'm ok in the home n then i go out its just all 2 much 2 take in, theres people walking in2 me, theres cars trying 2 run me over, n the grating of a womans high heels really amplify in my mind if some1 is walking closely behind me i just have 2 stand still almost like an emergency stop n then i seem 2 get such strange looks, then there r times when i just think i'm being followed, then i get paranoid if some1's sat in a car, i think they r checking me out, i dont think this even comes a close explanation of how i feel it just freaks me out, i dont seem 2 who i am or where i am, n sometimes in the supermarket i just have the feeling 2 get out as quick as possiable, i'm sure its anxiety or @ least thats what i've always believed

W

whatdidyousay?

Founding Member
sometimes i get these "depression attacks", i get an eerie feeling during these attacks that i am in a different world or another dimension, sort of.