Depersonalization??

C

Cchococookie

So I've been feeling this way for a while, except I wasnt sure why or what it was called. It doesnt affect my daily life too much, but it just makes life seem boring, meaningless, and weird. I'd describe my symptoms as feeling disconnected from my body, like my thoughts are separate from my body and when I look in the mirror, I'm not looking at me. When I focus on my own movements, it feels like I'm controlling someone else. I'm always experiencing this unless I can distract myself by talking to people or something else, but when I'm alone it's hard. It's like, I know I'm me and I am this body but it just doesnt make any sense to me how I can make myself move and think and everything without doing anything? But also when I talk to other people sometimes it feels like I'm talking to robots and nobody and nothing is real, or I'm talking to hallucinations. This doesnt happen as often though.

Anyway, does this sound like depersonalization? Or is it more of an existential crisis? And either way, what can I do about it?

Btw this is my first time using this forum so please let me know if I'm doing something wrong! :)

A

angels egg

I had this exact same problem. I had moments where I was walking down a street and it felt like I wasn't really there. Like it was a dream or like I was about to float away. I think it's also called derealization. I'm not sure what the difference is between depersonalization and derealization. It's best to go to a doctor about this.
Also, welcome to the forum! :welcome:

M

Mexis

I had this exact same problem. I had moments where I was walking down a street and it felt like I wasn't really there. Like it was a dream or like I was about to float away. I think it's also called derealization. I'm not sure what the difference is between depersonalization and derealization. It's best to go to a doctor about this.
Also, welcome to the forum! :welcome:
Depersonalization is when your self feels unreal, while derealization is when the external world feels unreal. I have both. They're often not considered as separate conditions, however.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I always wondered what the differences between them were. I haven’t suffered this in a long time. I used to feel that my life was mapped out and everything I did was planned and everyone knew about it but me. I couldn’t change anything that happened. It was a most upsetting feeling