• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Depending on others for happiness

IcyShadow

IcyShadow

Depression can have moments of experiencing happiness, but it doesn't mean the darkness goes away. I find that I (like others) rely on others to feel happiness, like a drug dealer supplying me drugs.
Living alone, and being single for years, craving to be with someone can add to the emptiness of depression.
I had recently met up with an ex from several years ago, who is also going through depression and a home life where she feels stuck.
We had spent time together, and our feelings were close, and it was like the first few days of dating.
However the making contact has dropped from her side, so I have given her space. She will reply if I contact her, but is this just her being polite - I never know. I think she feels I let her down in her hour of need, but I did explain the situation to her. Maybe I did let her down, but we have been in contact since then.

I miss her terribly, she is the first person I have let into my life for years.
I know it'll get to the stage where my feelings for her will stop, I realise this. Thing is, I so loved her back then, and my feelings for her started to be rekindled. I think of her all the time. I know I need to move on, and I have begun too, it's just time.

P

Purpleplum

Never rely on others for happiness. I too, used to do this. You have to find happiness within yourself.

IcyShadow

IcyShadow

Never rely on others for happiness. I too, used to do this. You have to find happiness within yourself.
I agree, others supplying happiness is a quick fix, and short lived. They can snatch it away from you at any time too. It's that buzz you get though, sometimes you'll risk it for the buzz, and put the inevitable regret on hold.

T

treasurebox

You can still be happy even without being in a relationship. Create happy moments because happiness is a choice. You can do it.

Linda1989

Linda1989

I depend on compliments.