• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Dependent personality disorder. If so, how did you overcome it?

S

SweetBipolar

Hello everyone. As you can see my name is bipolar. I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 about 10 years ago.

I experience a negative self image. Low self esteem. Hopelessness. Depression. Only a little bit of mania. But just very upset and down with my self image. From being overly confident to hating myself.

I am very inexperienced in life. Maybe because I also have social phobia. Which had caused me to leave high school early. And then Isolated at home at my parents for 10 years. With no job,never learning to drive.
which then makes me think I have dependent personality disorder.

The reason I feel I have this is because I can never picture myself ever surviving without my parents support.
it is not that I am lazy and don’t want to work or live on my own. I really want to do it. But I feel as if I isolated myself and I’m so inexperienced with socializing and with any skills. That I am afraid it’s too late.

I feel so hopeless about my future every now and then. My parents are getting old. I fear I will be homeless without them.
I don’t know what to do.
A “normal” meaning person without fear would just get any job and make a living. I am too scared to even get out of the house and make eye contact with someone in the store or anywhere around me.

I would like to know if anyone ever overcame dependent personality disorder?
I cook,clean,and have good hygiene. I am just dependent on everything else. Like being driven around,and also having my parents house to stay in. I am in the USA and do get social security disability for my mental illness. But I don’t want to dependend on it forever. Because it could stop at any moI help pay rent with it and buy food.

My main question really is how to become independent. That I fear for my future. Feeling helpless and hopeless about ever having a job and supporting myself.

I just recently googled dependent personality disorder. I feel I somewhat fit that or at least have a similar experience.

It is like I panic so bad about it because I know it’s bad. Where do I start? What type of job can someone like me get? And what is any advice you may have for me?

Thank you!

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
eckhart tolle had a self image that was so toxic and painful the neuroplasticity in his brain completely bypassed it one night. then he was "one with everything"

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

i was diagnosed with it 20 years ago and then the diagnosis changed to BPD x
i still think i have it ,i have most of the symptoms ,i believe the treatment for this disorder is therapy
i just wanted to welcome you and say you are not alone i hope things improve for you x Lu x

S

SweetBipolar

i was diagnosed with it 20 years ago and then the diagnosis changed to BPD x
i still think i have it ,i have most of the symptoms ,i believe the treatment for this disorder is therapy
i just wanted to welcome you and say you are not alone i hope things improve for you x Lu x
Thank you so much. Take care