• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Depakote

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Hi folks,

Is anyone out there on Depakote? Had my first appointment yesterday with MHT for a few years, hoping to get some sort of talking therapy. Instead they suggested I might need to take another med on top of my citalopram. I don't get manic episodes but they suggested Depakote. I've read up on it a bit and I must say I'm not happy. I gather it makes you put on weight, and as I'm already very overweight/obese and a lot of my problems are based around self-esteem, including my weight problem, I think this would be counter-productive. Not to mention the fact that I went asking for a talking therapy! :mad: I said that I think the meds were covering an underlying problem, but because I couldn't be specific other than self-esteem, that was brushed aside.

Anyway, I'm seeing them again next Tuesday so I would love to hear from you guys about this. I'm certainly going to keep pushing for therapy though!

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Anyone know anything about depakote?

Sugar Coated Owl

Sugar Coated Owl

I used to take depakote. I came off it because I felt it made me put on weight, my skin (acne) got very bad and my hair began falling out. However, everyone is different.