• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Depakote

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Hi folks,

Is anyone out there on Depakote? Had my first appointment yesterday with MHT for a few years, hoping to get some sort of talking therapy. Instead they suggested I might need to take another med on top of my citalopram. I don't get manic episodes but they suggested Depakote. I've read up on it a bit and I must say I'm not happy. I gather it makes you put on weight, and as I'm already very overweight/obese and a lot of my problems are based around self-esteem, including my weight problem, I think this would be counter-productive. Not to mention the fact that I went asking for a talking therapy! :mad: I said that I think the meds were covering an underlying problem, but because I couldn't be specific other than self-esteem, that was brushed aside.

Anyway, I'm seeing them again next Tuesday so I would love to hear from you guys about this. I'm certainly going to keep pushing for therapy though!

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Anyone know anything about depakote?

Sugar Coated Owl

Sugar Coated Owl

I used to take depakote. I came off it because I felt it made me put on weight, my skin (acne) got very bad and my hair began falling out. However, everyone is different.