• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

depakote

S

shell

Hi
Suffering bad anxiety and depression has anyone had to take depakote ?just had it perscribed by my pdoc very nervous about taking it :(

C

cole

hey

hey! i was put on that when i was manic.after a few weeks i refused to take it as i gained a stone and a half.i am now on lithium.it may be different for you but just keep a wee eye on it xxx

S

shell

hey! i was put on that when i was manic.after a few weeks i refused to take it as i gained a stone and a half.i am now on lithium.it may be different for you but just keep a wee eye on it xxx
Please don't tell me that :( I have already put on weight on seroquel I'm going to end up ten tone tessy if I put on weight I get really depressed. I tend to binge eat . I have bp 2 im depressed though so why put me on a drug for mania ?? I could scream:mad:. I'm hoping it makes me feel really sick so I don't eat. Whats Lithium like ?? I tend to get bad depressions highs are not hypomanic .

C

cole

hey

it might not be the same for u tho hun.am also on 800mg seroquel,800mg lithium,30mg valium.it wont actually put weight on u it just increases ur apetite so as long as ur aware and keep an eye on it ul be ok.i lost the weight i put on and now just make sure am on a healthy diet.lithium has been great for me the only down side is regular blood tests and my thyroid gland is now underactive but they just me thyroxine to help with that

R

rowland

I'm on sodium valporate, another form of the same drug. Intitially I was quetiapine too and gained a huge amount of weight. Since stopping quetiapine weight has dropped back down over the course of a year.

My options for mood stabiliser were limited somewhat as bp1 with full blown manic psychosis/mixed episodes - that's why I'm on valporate.

As your are bp2 you might want to ask about lamotragine as it also helps with depression.

Although according to NICE guidelines valporate/depakote is indicated for maintenance of bipolar supposedly being effective for both mania and depression - there is actually diddly squat evidence to show valporate does anything for depression (unlike the evidence for lithium). May well be why I'm on miratazapine as well...

M

mad as a hatter

valporate does sod all for depression i take 2 keep the high,s down tho and it does work for that a bit but i do stil get small high,s on it

S

skyblue

Depakote is a mood stabiliser, this should keep you on an even keel - Level your moods, so that the depression and hypomania is not so intense.

Quetiapine/Seroquel is an anti-psychotic, but it also helps alleviate both depression and anxiety.

If you're still suffering from depression and anxiety it could be that you're not on the right dosage or it simply isn't working for you.

I don't know how long you've been taking Quetiapine for, but you do need to give them afew weeks before they start to work.

Otherwise it's all trial and error I'm afraid.

Hope you feel better soon.

:flowers:

Last edited:
J

Johnny

Weight loss

I'm on a very low dose of Depakote and it has helped me so much. I still feel the depression although not as bad and intense as it was. You will hate me for this but i have lost half a stone since being on Depakote (coming up to four weeks now). One of the side effects apart from weight gain is weight loss. I must be one of the lucky ones. I am going to ask my doc if i can increase the dose just to take the edge off a bit more.
The thing is this drug really has reduced the hypomania and depression although I still need to find the right balance.
Initially I had tummy ache and a nauseous feeling and wanted to eat all the time, but it was fairly transient and now has disappeared.

All the best

Johnny

S

shell

Depakote is a mood stabiliser, this should keep you on an even keel - Level your moods, so that the depression and hypomania is not so intense.

Quetiapine/Seroquel is an anti-psychotic, but it also helps alleviate both depression and anxiety.

If you're still suffering from depression and anxiety it could be that you're not on the right dosage or it simply isn't working for you.

I don't know how long you've been taking Quetiapine for, but you do need to give them afew weeks before they start to work.

Otherwise it's all trial and error I'm afraid.

Hope you feel better soon.

:flowers:
I have been on the seroquel about 8 weeks now. I managed to get out of bed today at 9.00 :) miracles do happen..lol I feel a bit better today maybe its because the sun is shining. What kind of Bipolar do you have?

What has helped you I have only just been diagnosed so its all just a bit scary and its all im talking about even though i try not too it just all seems so major !

The pdoc said I should only allow myself 1 hr on this site a week he said its not healthy I got really mad because I'm off work sick and its hard thinking of things to do during the day and finding the motivation.

Noone really understands how I feel apart from other people with bp. My hubby has been great but he just doesn't understand what its like and how bad my head can feel at times I feel like sometimes I'm obsessing a bit about bp I don't know its part of me so I guess thats just natural. Having friends on the forum is so good and nice (y) I don't feel so alone . Thanks for your advice Im hoping one day I can give good advice too. i feel bad because I'm new I don't really have much to offer at the moment. It would be nice to help other people x

N

nattyone

depakote and seroquel are what i am on at the moment . my anxiety is not doing so good at the moment and im miserable but im not suicidal or hallucinating . cant say iff its working or not .

jax

jax

I am on seroquel, lithium, haloperidol and depakote. I was put on the depakote as it is good for the manias and I suffer terrible with the manias. I hope it works for you.

S

shell

Just wish this depression would pass I just feel so low :(. I hate bipolar. I'm really tearful today during dinner my hubby said oh life is unfair I immediately thought he was saying that cos he is stuck with me I honestly don't blame him. I'm feeling really ratty and moody so am trying to keep quiet cos I don't want to scream at anyone or shout. This is horrible I wish I was manic high and happy but I guess thats not the answer , at the moment i can never see myself going back to work I'm scared :cry:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Redd77 Bipolar Forum 1