• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Depakote....your experience

J

Johnny

Hi
I was diagnosed bi polar back in January. Psychiatrist feels that I have had this condition since my teens, but managed it extremely well without meds.
She prescribed me Depakote for me to take if my condition got worse and I felt I was out of control. I declined the medication (against the psychiatrists advice) as I thought I had managed well for the past 30 years or so.
I can handle the racy thoughts and occasional auditory hallucinations, but I can't handle the depression. it lasts only for a few hours a day but the intensity is indescribable !!
I have spoken to the Community Mental Health Team and have decided to take the meds.
Anyone else taking this medication ? I will be starting off on the lowest dose, (I think they said 250mg?) whatever that may be. I would love to hear anybody's experience on this medication
Thanks
johnny

S

skyblue

Hi
I was diagnosed bi polar back in January. Psychiatrist feels that I have had this condition since my teens, but managed it extremely well without meds.
She prescribed me Depakote for me to take if my condition got worse and I felt I was out of control. I declined the medication (against the psychiatrists advice) as I thought I had managed well for the past 30 years or so.
I can handle the racy thoughts and occasional auditory hallucinations, but I can't handle the depression. it lasts only for a few hours a day but the intensity is indescribable !!
I have spoken to the Community Mental Health Team and have decided to take the meds.
Anyone else taking this medication ? I will be starting off on the lowest dose, (I think they said 250mg?) whatever that may be. I would love to hear anybody's experience on this medication
Thanks
johnny
Hello Johnny,

Depakote usually helps me through a hypomanic period. It slows the racing thoughts down and gives me a sense of calm.

After sometime though, 4-5 months down the line, I can tell when I'm feeling stable because it seems to dull my feelings so much I start to feel alittle robotic, to which I then discontinue.

I was taking 1750mg Depakote, but have discontinued for sometime now. Have to say, it didn't really help me with the depression side of the illness. I take a anti-psychotic for that called Quetiapine/Seroquel which really helps, it's also really good for my Anxiety.

I think Depakote's a good drug for use in hypomanic stages, but as said after sometime, it doesn't help me.

But, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. It just depends, and is all trial and error i'm afraid.

Good luck with it and I hope it helps you.

:flowers:

emski

emski

Depakote wasn't any good for me, but I think they try people on Depakote first before lithium these days, even though lithium is the 'gold standard' treatment for bipolar, because of the downsides.

It could work really well for you, everyone is different. Good luck with however you decide to manage things :flowers:

J

Johnny

Thank You

Thanks skyblue and emski. I really appreciate you getting back to me.
Any recommendations for the depressive side of this illness? I can cope with the racing thoughts.
I wake up every morning with this terrible depression..cant even begin to describe it...lasts a few hours then disperses into mania (racing thoughts going a million miles per hour). if I can get rid of the depression side I would cope much better.
What do bipolar sufferers take to combat the lows??
Excuse my ignorance but although I have had this illness a very very long time I hardly know anything about it...just recently diagnosed. My past medication was exercise, playing piano, guitar, violin and composing. Im tired now I feel I need a long rest and I thought perhaps meds would help for a while
Johnny

S

skyblue

Thanks skyblue and emski. I really appreciate you getting back to me.
Any recommendations for the depressive side of this illness? I can cope with the racing thoughts.
I wake up every morning with this terrible depression..cant even begin to describe it...lasts a few hours then disperses into mania (racing thoughts going a million miles per hour). if I can get rid of the depression side I would cope much better.
What do bipolar sufferers take to combat the lows??
Excuse my ignorance but although I have had this illness a very very long time I hardly know anything about it...just recently diagnosed. My past medication was exercise, playing piano, guitar, violin and composing. Im tired now I feel I need a long rest and I thought perhaps meds would help for a while
Johnny
Johnny,

Your Pdoc may want to start you off with a Mood Stabiliser like Depakote and then give you another medication in combination with this. As you're still experiencing the highs, a Mood Stabiliser like Depakote may help you.

I was given an Anti-Psychotic - Quetiapine in combination with the Depakote and this helped with my depression and anxiety.

It's really best to discuss this with your PDoc, explain to him what you've explained here.

I hope something can be sorted for you soon.

All the best :flowers:

Last edited: