• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Depakote / valproate / valproic acid for insomnia and irritability?

Wish4TheNight

Wish4TheNight

Good news on the improving mood. I'm sorry about the erratic sleep though.

Myself, after about a week of mixed symptoms I had one relatively normal day where the restlessness was gone and I was really tired. I thought I was getting better and the Depakote was working, but after a night of disappointing sleep, the next day I felt depressed again. I've felt like that for two days now and I still can't sleep.
I guess I'm a rapid cycler.

K

keith74

Good news on the improving mood. I'm sorry about the erratic sleep though.

Myself, after about a week of mixed symptoms I had one relatively normal day where the restlessness was gone and I was really tired. I thought I was getting better and the Depakote was working, but after a night of disappointing sleep, the next day I felt depressed again. I've felt like that for two days now and I still can't sleep.
I guess I'm a rapid cycler.
Hang in there. Fluctuations seems typical. My wife's improvement was certainly not a linear one. She would have a good day followed by one not as good (goes for both mood and sleep). The key thing is that her mood trended up overall. Her sleep has been more stubborn but it seems to be slowly trending better. It is just a REALLY SLOW trending up lol.

Wish4TheNight

Wish4TheNight

Thank you.
Yeah you guys have been in this for months, you must both be exhausted. I can hardly take this for a few days, let alone weeks or even months. It's good that you see progress overall, that is encouraging.

I can't really feel optimistic right now. All I want to do is curl up in a ball and cry. I'm so tired, I wish I could just sleep.

You guys hang on in there as well. We'll get there eventually!

Wishbone

Wishbone

Yeah Wish, I think you're being a bit too quick to be thinking the Depakote isn't working and to assume rapid cycling. I see this (from behind a screen admittedly) as the typical adjustment phase for meds. You've not been on them 2 weeks yet have you? It will take a few weeks, allow it time.