• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Depakote (Sodium Valproate) experiences

HLon99

HLon99

I agree Aripiprazole is a great drug. Are you sure you need your ADHD medication to work full strength? Just ask for an increase in the ADHD medication if Aripiprazole is taking the edge off it.
Perhaps. I have an appointment coming up in 10 days and I'm going to discuss my options. Med selection is really trial and error, and I think I'm coming close to cracking it.

HLon99

HLon99

I also have no motivation and am on benefits. I lack executive function. Doing anything is difficult.
Sometimes this is just the disease rather than the medication.
I can relate to this a lot. And yeah I realise it might be the bloody disease. I heard that psychiatric disorders can cause 'negative symptoms' such as lack of motivation, alogia and apathy. A study has shown that certain ADHD meds such as Lisdexafetamine, when balanced my a mood stabiliser/antipsychotic can improve this massively.

K

keith74

Thank you for your response. Very encouraging to hear a positive experience. I will prob only need a lower dose, as I am predominantly depressive type. I have fairly thick hair anyway so hopefully that shouldn't be an issue. How does it compare to antipsychotics, is it as helpful for the mania?
From what I understand, Depakote/Epival (while supposedly used for treatment of both mania and depression) is actually more effective for mania than it is for depression. When my wife was battling a major depressive episode, her psychiatrist actually had her on Seroquel also, which is good for depression.

K

keith74

P.P.S. It would also be helpful to know how it compares to Antipsychotics (as that is what I am currently taking). Is it as effective at preventing mania and does it help with psychotic features such as paranoia or hyperarousal/anxiety.

Also, the only other drug I am considering is Lithium. I would like to know how it compares to Valproate in terms of side effects, effectiveness at preventing mania, does it help with psychotic/paranoia/hyperarousal effects?
Depakote is effective at treating mania and is actually considered one of the main options for treating acute manic episodes. When my wife was hospitalized with acute mania, the doctors tried to get her back on Depakote/Epival at a high dosage but my wife kept refusing. Finally they were able to get her to try Olanzapine (another main option for acute mania) after repeated refusals of Depakote by my wife. However I'm not sure how effective Depakote is for psychosis.

After discharge, both her psychiatrist and her primary doctor was recommending she get back on a mood stabilizer. When she expressed discomfort going back on Depakote, they recommended Lithium. They said that it is quite safe after the proper dosage is determined and with periodic checkups of the blood levels. Better for the liver than Depakote but apparently can have some impact to the kidneys. Both mentioned it is the "gold standard" for bipolar because it is quite effective for both mania and depression and is also effective for psychosis. Eventually my wife went back to Depakote because of her long track record with it with relatively minimal negative side effects.

Zero One

Zero One

Thanks for the response. Any side effects worth mentioning? I heard horror stories about it turning people into zombies and causing weight gain. Does it help with psychotic symptoms such as Paranoia? Any interactions with alcohol?
When I first took it, it made me feel so good like when my brain was functioning and I was on a natural high, but my psychosis started to increase maybe because I am extremely stressed out about situations that I am really going through. Anyways I started having delusions and hallucinations. I went to see the Dr. And he said depakote does not cause hallucinations or delusions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Redd77 Bipolar Forum 1