• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Depakote/Epival - how often per day for non-ER?

K

keith74

My wife has a prescription of Epival EC (enteric coated - this is the non-extended release one) 500mg daily. Epival EC should be the same as Depakote DR. Her instructions are to take two 250mg tablets at night before bed. I'm a bit confused because I thought for the enteric coated tablets, you should spread out your dose instead of taking it all in one shot (take one 250mg in the morning and one in the evening). I know that the extended release (ER) pill you can take all at once, but thought this is not recommended for the EC/DR pill. Could it be that the pharmacy has the wrong instructions? Or does it not really matter?

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
I would say it seem weird, because an entero coated valporate should be spread out when taken often, for a more steady state of the effect of the medicine. So it would be good asking your doctor or pharmacy to check if it’s the correct information you got. Just to double check that your wife really should take 500 mg in one go at night.

Because what I know about medication of valporate you should titrate the dosage. Start the lowest dosage and build it up, to what will work later on. At least that is the recommendations we have in sweden for valproic acid medicines.

So make a call and confirm you got the right information.

K

keith74

Thank you. I have asked my wife to confirm with her psychiatrist at her next appointment this week.