• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Depakine, olanzapine for ptsd

B

Blackrose09

Is depakine good for ptsd?
Olanzapine?
Anxiolitics?

I'm left with these meds cause they won't give me treatment for ptsd.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide

Medication
Antidepressants, such as paroxetine, sertraline, mirtazapine, amitriptyline or phenelzine, are sometimes used to treat PTSD in adults.

Of these medications, only paroxetine and sertraline are licensed specifically for the treatment of PTSD.

But mirtazapine, amitriptyline and phenelzine have also been found to be effective and may be recommended as well.

These medications will only be used if:

• you choose not to have trauma-focused psychological treatment
  • psychological treatment would not be effective because there's an ongoing threat of further trauma (such as domestic violence)
  • you have gained little or no benefit from a course of trauma-focused psychological treatment
  • you have an underlying medical condition, such as severe depression, that significantly affects your ability to benefit from psychological treatment

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Other medications maybe are used if you have specific symptoms that require them. You could ask your doctor what you are taking each tablet for specifically.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I have just skim read the results of a couple of small research studies of sodium valproate for PTSD and it said 'significant improvements in symptoms'. I like to read sentences like that! There are loads of results of studies available online but i don't know if they are top quality.

I think you have to go with how you feel personally. Take as little as you can manage on is my personal opinion.