• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

dentist

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
i'm not sure i'm phobic about the dentist .. perhaps its more about teeth in general .. :eek:

i have had problems with my teeth since my first one grew .. i had an extra tooth in between my two front teeth which my parents were told would not grow back with the second teeth ... lo and behold .. it did .!

so i had to have it (and some others ) removed and then had a brace when i was about 9 or 10... when the big metal things came off 18 months later i had a little plate thing to finish the job off .. which broke and my dad decided i didn't need to go back to have it sorted :unsure:

so not a good toothy beginning .. my parents werent big on dentists (mum had false teeth when she was 22 .. something to do with being pregnant with my brother ) .. dad got a new set of gnashers in his 30's so i guess i don't come from good tooth genes :rolleyes:

when i was old enough i took myself off to the dentist regularly, but over the years i feel i've been mucked about .. ( dunno .. nhs politics ,,, money ,, wotever .. but sometimes i've felt i had stuff done that didn't need doing .. and other times i felt i didn't get what i needed ..

if you've looked at my latest journal entry you'll see i've been having worries about my teeth falling out lately (they aren't loose .. i don't really have toothache (more an "awareness" ).. but i am worried particularly about a front tooth that looks a bit dodgy to me

i have my 6 month check coming up in a couple of weeks but i don't trust them to do things properly. i'm actually considering putting myself in debt to get them done properly ..

i don't want a dazzling american smile with stars coming off it ... but im getting obsessed with looking at peoples teeth (on telly , in sainsburys ).. and deciding that i am a freak :scared:

i'm not sure if my worries are normal .. or if its another thing to do with the dysmorphia:confused::rolleyes:

D

Dollit

I've always had problems with my teeth. My first set didn't drop out so I was taken to the dentist one after noon (aged 7) given a general anaesthetic and had 12 teeth removed and then my mother kept telling me not to cry in public. Two years later I had a rounders bat hit me in the face (accident) and it smashed one tooth in half and a hole appeared right the way through the other one. Nerves exposed and they filled on top of the nerves. Eventually I had one tooth taken out (denture at 15) and the other filled. Eventually at 36 I had a bridge & crowns. But I have a huge fear of the dentist. I cry just phoning up to make an appointment. I recently got referred to the Dental Hospital (I also gag to the point of vomit when they drill) who are sedating me for 3 fillings some time soon.

My mum had a real talent for passing her fears on to us but also for using bad doctors, dentists etc. because they were convenient or because we'd always used them. I can't quite forgive her for it.

Don't know if this helps Daffy but I think uneasiness around the dentist is just about normal. I only know of one person who goes to the dentist without a qualm.

dunglen

dunglen

Founding Member
hi

I am a mad person but i would rather go to the dentist that GP or Psych or other MH professional as I know what to expect at the dentisit from the others it can be a bit of a hit or miss.

connect

connect

Admin
We've got a Dental Phobia Forum which deals with dental phobia :D. And while it's mainly geared towards people who are too terrified to see a dentist in the first place, all sorts of fears and phobias surrounding the issue are discussed, as well as general dentistry questions etc. :).

(BTW, there's also a page with lots of tips for dealing with a bad gag reflex at How can I stop gagging at the dentist’s? :sorcerer:)

D

Dollit

Thanks for that connect, I did have a look last time someone posted the link but it makes me feel sick and tearful just reading about it. It's not something I face easily.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Tho i dont like going to the denstist id rather go than lose my teeth. Ive been lucky and always gone regularly even tho i dreaded it and its paid off. Ive still got all my own teeth apart from one at the back (so far)

Ive had a couple of embarrasing episodes tho. On one occassion i was having work done on a front tooth and started having a panic attack and tried to run out of the surgery into the waiting room:redface: Then another time the dentist asked if i was okay, i noddede my head, stood up and fell flat on the floor.

I think there more scared of me going now than i am:D

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
If I'm truthful it's not the dentist I'm scared of its the fear of being in an enclosed space with someone invading my space. As it now so happens it's that expensive I can't afford to go.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I may hear voices at the dentist, it's one of those unexplainable experience places, the others are the police cell and the trains particularly the intercity.

Some experiences are inponderable it's pointless pondering on them, the dentist is like that, an alternative reality feeling