• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Dentist phobia

I

IBSerina

Hello all, new member here. This is very embarrassing for me and I have been made fun of all my life for this phobia.

When I was 3 years old, I fell into the corner of a glass table and I broke my front tooth. I was rushed to the nearest dentist and they took take care of it.

A week later, my mom saw blood coming out of the gum and a little white thing. Turns out the dentist forgot a small piece of cotton inside my gum.

We went back and the amount of pain I felt whilst the dentist was pulling this thing out of my gum and poking in there, WITHOUT ANY ANESTHESIA,- I was too young, was indescribable. I was traumatised.

Ever since then, I am deathly afraid of the dentist. My teeth are in a horrible state and I need to go but every single time I attempt it, I end up almost passing out on the way. And I cancel. Three time now I passed out from fear inside the dentist's office. I had to be rushed to the hospital.

I don't know what to do. I absolutely can't afford to go to a therapist. I HAVE to go to the dentist otherwise pretty soon, I won't be able to eat/chew. I wonder if anyone has had the same phobia and how they dealt with it. Thank you.

P

Purpleplum

A lot of people are afraid of dentists. Tell the dentist this when you call them and ask if they can prescribe anything for you to take ahead of time.

I

IBSerina

A lot of people are afraid of dentists. Tell the dentist this when you call them and ask if they can prescribe anything for you to take ahead of time.
This is not allowed where I live. I am thinking of general anesthesia as a final solution but I am scared of complications.