Dental work setting off ocd/tourette's

S

SoftserveSodium

I suffer from OCD and a complex form of tourette's syndrome, which seem to be pretty well tied together in my case, among other things. A while back, I got pretty depressed and stopped taking care of myself very well for a few months. I'm now in a better place, maintaining everything and not super depressed or anything, but I had a few cavities to get taken care of. One of my problems is, my sense of touch has to be even, for example, if someone were to brush past me and touch my left elbow, I would have to touch my right elbow in the same place. This also applies in my mouth. After getting a few fillings and a root canal/crown, one of my fillings has been high which causes one of my teeth to touch before all of the other teeth, which really causes me significant discomfort, and the root canal/crown tooth is bigger than the rest, which bothers me a lot. It's to the point where it's pretty much constantly on my mind and making me miserable. The high filling is getting adjusted, but I don't know how I'm ever going to get used to this crown. Anyone have tips on how to manage the discomfort? It's incredibly frustrating and I don't know how I'm going to live with this for the rest of my life. I've never had therapy or anything for it, but I've never had success with medication.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I'm glad to hear you're taking care of yourself better and things aren't as dark as they have been.

I would advise you to go back to the dentist.
I had the same problem, only it was half a crown fitted. It really got on my nerves having this one tooth make contact with my other teeth before the others (if that makes sense?).

This isn't supposed to happen and they can adjust it - they make you bite into something so that they can see where it's too high and they'll use a tool to remove the excess parts.

You don't have to put up with this. Go back to the dentist and explain the issue, they'll be able to correct it.