• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Dental sedation

T

tomspanic

Hi all,

i‘ve lost control of my anxiety, for which I am seeking help. Unfortunately, I had a major attack during my trip to the dentist. They managed to drill into the tooth but complete the filling, so I’m left with a temporary which will need replacing very soon. I do not suffer with dental fear but do suffer panic attacks, which of late have become worse. Simple things like walking the dogs or trying to sleep are leaving my convinced I can’t breathe and sending me into panic.

My question is whether anyone here has experience of dental IV? I need to go back and complete the work but I know I want have made any improvements in time.

A particular issue for me is my attacks are worse when I feel powerless or if I feel I can’t breathe, which is often. I’m terrified of the idea that I could be semi-awake, whilst work is done but unable to stop it, like those people you hear are awake during surgery and lose their minds.

i remember being given gas and air after being hit by a car, I had both my legs broken but it’s the gas and air that freaked me out and constantly revisits my mind.

Do you think sedation is suitable for me or is this likely to be my worst nightmare?

B

Bpdcgd

IV sedation in dental practice is usually midazolam. It's like really really really strong valium/xanax that wears off after about 30mins. When I had my wisdom teeth removed I had iv sedation. No memory of the procedure, half way through getting the injection I dosed off.
Hope this helps.

S

Sugaree

I had cataract surgery done and they told me I would be sedated but awake enough to hear the doctor. I was so afraid of being awake and was in a total body panic when I got to med center. They gave me iv with a strong painkiller and something to calm me. It was really not bad at all. I felt nothing but very relaxed. Find out what will be in your iv ahead of time and research it. More anxiety when you don’t know what you will feel or be aware of. Let dentist know you have severe panic attacks. Ask if you can take your meds at regular time too. More info you get, less anxiety. I hope this helped.

T

tomspanic

Thank you all, I’m really hoping I’m out of it enough to not know what’s going on.

T

tomspanic

Hi again, sorry will try not to be a pain but feel I may come here a bit until I get myself back under control. Unfortunately, my panic attacks and general anxiety are getting worse. I have arranged CBT but first session isn’t until 8th April. Although i am unrushed in efforts to work through the CBT the looming and unavoidable trip to the dentist which could be triggered any day when the temp. filling erodes is causing real problems, concentration, migraines caused by stress and lack of sleep etc.

My thoughts go to being in the chair as the procedure starts, thoughts of freaking out as I did when I was administered gas and air after being hit be a car come flooding to my mind.

I have read about sedation (midazolam) and the comments here which did provide some comfort but of course I help thinking about how “I” will react. Terms like relaxed and less anxious are used but I can’t empathise or imagine what this is like, so imagine instead what I have felt and can only envision me being trapped unable to move, wanting to flee but unable, unable to catch my breath or swallow.

Sugaree, I note you said relaxed. Is your anxiety like mine, where you feel you can’t breath and need to swallow and gulp and physically move just to know you can breathe? I want to understand how someone who reacts as I do can be relaxed or get through this.

sorry, I’m in the worse state I’ve been in for many years :( I’m shaking as I type this.

S

Sugaree

Tomspanic, I was a wreck before the surgery. I could hardly breathe,I gulped so much air I had a stomach ache. I have an anxiety disorder and take meds for it. Once they started the IV I was very relaxed. I am rarely relaxed lol. I was awake so that’s why I was super stressed at first but I felt no pain. I do alot of deep breathing and sit outside to try to relax. I am still trying to figure how to stop a panic attack as soon as it starts. Hope you are feeling calmer today

C

celticlass

I've had IV sedation for dental treatment many times. You will need to have someone at home with you for 24 hours after procedure. This is because you will be feeling overconfident and may engage in risky behaviours. You will have no recollection of the work being done.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

They used to give nitrous oxide when I went to the dentist, they slapped a mask over your nose and you breathed this gas which relaxed you-didn't knock you out. I enjoyed it. But for whatever reason dentists stopped using it. I've heard some dentists use IV sedation now, but my dentist does not. I'm OK with the anxiety, but my jaw structure has changed over the years-my mouth doesn't open as wide as it used to. So my dentist puts in this rubber wedge to keep my mouth open and I absolutely hate that thing. I feel like I'm going to choke.