• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Dental problems because of depression

G

GettingThrough123

Does anyone have any advice on how to talk to dental professionals?
I have spent the past year or so recovering from a really bad stretch with my depression that landed me in the hospital. Although my mental health is getting much better with therapy I am having to deal with repercussions from staying in bed for like 10 months doing nothing to take care of myself. I am having dental problems and I feel so embarrassed going into a dentist because these problems were so preventable if I had done basic stuff like brush my teeth but I just couldn't for a bit there.

I keep feeling like I need to explain myself because I feel like they will be judging me but I am also just embarrassed that I couldn't even manage to brush my teeth and don't want to admit to it. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Lugnut

Lugnut

I think it's up to you with how comfortable you feel disclosing certain info, but also remember that health professionals in general have usually seen it all. There's a big chance that they have seen a lot worse and it's not their job to judge you, just to help you out. That being said, if you don't feel like saying much but want to tell them something you could say something like, "I've had some ongoing health issues these last few years that have affected my ability to care for my teeth/health" which says plenty enough. You don't owe them a huge explanation :)

Also, don't be embarrassed. It's good that you're feeling well enough to get the work done on your teeth now and start taking better care of yourself and that's all that matters - I think everyone goes through stages of their lives where they don't care for themselves like they should and especially those with depression, it's not easy! So make sure you aren't hard on yourself, the main thing is you have made it through and that's something to be very proud of!

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hello and welcome to the forum. Dentists are used to treating people who have not been able to care for their teeth. Please do not feel any shame about it. You could just say you were unwell and unable to care for yourself and leave it at that. Your dentist will not need any details.