• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

DeMontfort or Curtin.

T

Thoth

So I'm looking next year to further my studies and get another degree. So I could go back to Curtin University and do a degree in Econ. However I applied to some universities in the UK. Central Lancashire has yet to make an offer, although DeMontfort University has made an offer already.

The downside to DeMontfort is that I will be charged as an International student despite being a UK citizen. The reason is that I have not lived in the UK for the last 23 years. However most of my family is there and they're all roughly 1-2 hours away from the campus in Leicester. The other pro is that its quite a small campus, which is a big benefit for personal circumstances (Curtin is 5 times the size). Also Healthcare is considerably more subsidised than Australia, though the quality is perhaps debatable. Last year spent about $11k (£5,700) on healthcare.

Curtin, well I'd have a 3 hour commute to it everyday, so it would mean 4am wake up on some occasions. domestic fees as I am an Australian citizen. I suppose its a robust and respectful university, (although the Business building could do with a refurbishment). Also It is very likely in 2015 onwards I would be on my own. I severely lack a social network, I would only need one hand to count friends that are borderline acquaintances. Also my nearest relative would be in San Francisco if I were to have any issues.

Thoughts?

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

I suppose it depends if you can reasonably afford the charges at DeMontfort and want to move back to the UK. If so, it definitely sounds like the better option for you. The 3 hour commute each day to Curtin sounds, to me, pretty awful as does the isolation but, then again, you'll make new friends, if this is something you're comfortable with.

If there were no obstacles, which would you be choosing for yourself?

T

Thoth

The 3 hour commute each day to Curtin sounds, to me, pretty awful as does the isolation but, then again, you'll make new friends, if this is something you're comfortable with.
Part of that problem is the urban sprawl in most Australian cities are horrendous. Though I technically live in a regional area in Australia and am 36 miles from university, so it's quite a trek, though I managed it for the last 2 years...

If there were no obstacles, which would you be choosing for yourself?
I'm not sure there are benefits from both places. The UK cost of living is incredibly cheap compared to Australia.

Though I don't know how I would cope with the cold. Yeah sure I spent time in the UK in 1998, and 2002 in the winter, and I spent winter in Oulu, Finland in 2010 and 2011. But those were only a few weeks, and I'm sure it's different when you are living. Where I live now, in the daytime it gets as cold as 12ºC and as hot as 48ºC. Yeah we've had the odd night in my time in Australia where it's gone -2ºC for an hour or two but that was it. Also you guys get a lot of cloudy days, whereas in Australia, even in our winter it's usually just blue skies.

I don't know how much this will impact me, plus my parents look at retiring in 2016, and they might leave me in Australia with no family and friends, and I don't know if this is a good or a healthy thing. But then my when I grew up I spent a lot of time all on my own.

I've had a negative and miserable things happen in Australia and I do attribute them to Australia. So I'm not at all happy where I am, but then would moving to another location where I no experience of would be an improvement, would relocating make me think less of the deaths of some friends that I made? Would the cold dark nights have an effect on me? Will I get a good psychiatrist in the UK, and what about the kerotoconus?

There are a lot of questions that need to be answered.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

You have so many things to think through and I can certainly see your dilemma a lot more clearly now. I wish I could offer answers to even some of your questions but, despite being valid, they're mostly ones that only you could guess at.

I would probably list all of the pros and cons for each option and put them in order of importance and then try to narrow them down further (but then I'm an avid list writer!). It just sometimes helps to organise thoughts and priorities. Then you can see if there are possible solutions to any of the cons - you obviously can't change the climate but you might be able to find out about local psychiatric help in the UK etc.

You might decide that neither option is viable and have to look at something different.

I'm just sorry that I can't offer any real help or answers but I wish you well.