• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Dementours - J K Rowling

T

Twylight

When I read the ' Harry Potter ' books and came across the 'Dementours ' - who suck all the happiness out of people, I could relate to it immediately - as this is how my anti-psychotic makes me feel

I learnt later that JK rowling based the ' Dementours ' on the symptoms of Depression

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
When I read the ' Harry Potter ' books and came across the 'Dementours ' - who suck all the happiness out of people, I could relate to it immediately - as this is how my anti-psychotic makes me feel

I learnt later that JK rowling based the ' Dementours ' on the symptoms of Depression
Yeah....I watched one of the movies a few days ago and I was squealing "No! nooooo!" My son was looking at me like I was an idiot and I said "But they're sucking out his happiness!!!"

Did JK suffer from depression herself?

T

Twylight

Yeah....I watched one of the movies a few days ago and I was squealing "No! nooooo!" My son was looking at me like I was an idiot and I said "But they're sucking out his happiness!!!"

Did JK suffer from depression herself?
NO, I don't think so

But deeply researched ' Depression '.

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
They are blooming creepy looking things.... *shivers*

shaun3210

shaun3210

I remember watching a documentary about her on TV a few years ago and she did have a very rough patch living in a bedsit in her 20's.

I can’t remember all the details, but from the impression I got from it I wouldn’t be surprised if she did suffer from depression at that time.

P

Prasada

London, south Wales, Bristol, Oxford, East Anglia
Rowling lived in Chepstow for some years. The Wye Valley can be a good cure for depression in itself. Look at Wordsworth:

Nor less, I trust,
To them I may have owed another gift,
Of aspect more sublime; that blessed mood,
In which the burthen of the mystery,
In which the heavy and the weary weight
Of all this unintelligible world,
Is lightened: -- that serene and blessed mood,
In which the affections gently lead us on, --
Until, the breath of this corporeal frame
And even the motion of our human blood
Almost suspended, we are laid asleep
In body, and become a living soul: