• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Dementours - J K Rowling

T

Twylight

When I read the ' Harry Potter ' books and came across the 'Dementours ' - who suck all the happiness out of people, I could relate to it immediately - as this is how my anti-psychotic makes me feel

I learnt later that JK rowling based the ' Dementours ' on the symptoms of Depression

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
When I read the ' Harry Potter ' books and came across the 'Dementours ' - who suck all the happiness out of people, I could relate to it immediately - as this is how my anti-psychotic makes me feel

I learnt later that JK rowling based the ' Dementours ' on the symptoms of Depression
Yeah....I watched one of the movies a few days ago and I was squealing "No! nooooo!" My son was looking at me like I was an idiot and I said "But they're sucking out his happiness!!!"

Did JK suffer from depression herself?

T

Twylight

Yeah....I watched one of the movies a few days ago and I was squealing "No! nooooo!" My son was looking at me like I was an idiot and I said "But they're sucking out his happiness!!!"

Did JK suffer from depression herself?
NO, I don't think so

But deeply researched ' Depression '.

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
They are blooming creepy looking things.... *shivers*

shaun3210

shaun3210

I remember watching a documentary about her on TV a few years ago and she did have a very rough patch living in a bedsit in her 20's.

I can’t remember all the details, but from the impression I got from it I wouldn’t be surprised if she did suffer from depression at that time.

P

Prasada

London, south Wales, Bristol, Oxford, East Anglia
Rowling lived in Chepstow for some years. The Wye Valley can be a good cure for depression in itself. Look at Wordsworth:

Nor less, I trust,
To them I may have owed another gift,
Of aspect more sublime; that blessed mood,
In which the burthen of the mystery,
In which the heavy and the weary weight
Of all this unintelligible world,
Is lightened: -- that serene and blessed mood,
In which the affections gently lead us on, --
Until, the breath of this corporeal frame
And even the motion of our human blood
Almost suspended, we are laid asleep
In body, and become a living soul: