Dementia sufferers get £1m grant in Cornwall.

calypso

calypso

Admin
I'm shocked that painting will cost a million pounds! Sounds like someone is getting a lot of money. But that said, this is the sort of start that is very good. It was the first thing we did on our units and it really does help people living with dementia find their way around whilst they are in the first or second stage and sometimes the third stage.

i hope they keep some money for other things too, but its a start and a good start. Thanks MisterB

C

Callalily

Thanks for that Mister B, sounds good, I too am shocked at how steep it is to paint, there must be a big area that needs painting :) I'd never heard about colours helping with dementia, it is one of many things I know little about though, very interesting, thanks again :)

calypso

calypso

Admin
You need edges as people living with dementia frequently lose spatial awareness and depth awareness. Also colour is deep in the memory, so people can relate to different colours. Its interesting, but we also had carpets/floor coverings which didn't end at the door frame but was laid just past it in each case. People living with demetia will commonly stop at the door ways and not be able to work out if there is a step or not. So having the floor covering going beyond the door frame, means they can walk in easily.

Its something I didn't put into my introduction article, there is so much that needs to be put in. We used pictures of old fashioned toilets on the toilet doors, but then realised that people living with dementia often couldn't work a picture out either. So we got a lot of easily cleaned waste paper bins as many people trying desperately trying to work out where a toilet was would wee in them. This is actually a sign of the person trying to be continent even though other people didn't often realise this.