• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

delusions

C

codedry

Hi I am new to all this!

I am 27 and have been ill since feb.
I am having delusions but i think that they are really.
how do you tell if its a memory or :confused:a delusion.

A

Apotheosis

Hello & Welcome to the site :welcome:

With reality testing; challenging thoughts, gaining perspective & self awareness, & trying to think in terms of different ideas, perspectives, & realising the multi faceted nature of things. For example - whatever the idea is - think; well, this may be happening, or it may not, what else could be happening? is it possible that something else could be going on here - that type of thinking.

I find it helps to try to separate out things. Was I under the influence of alcohol or a drug at the time? Was I under stress? Was I very tired? Do others corroborate what I think happened?

When we have insight into a delusion, then it is no longer a delusion. When we realise that we are mad, we are no longer quite so mad. Paradoxically, the truly insane believe that they are totally sane.

Why do some gain insight & others don't? I don't know.

Last edited:
A

Apotheosis

Gosh so well expalined Apotheosis
I don't know?

I find the subject fascinating, & if people are allowed to work though things, & explore things, then I think that they can gain insight. I have met & chatted to some though, who are totally fixed in certain delusional ideas; nothing will sway them. No argument, reasoning or perspective. Usually people, who in many other ways are well, & recovering. I don't know why that is. I have been in some highly delusional states. I gain insight & come out of those states, usually as quickly as I have gone into them.

The question of what is & isn't delusional is also an interesting one.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi I am new to all this!

I am 27 and have been ill since feb.
I am having delusions but i think that they are really.
how do you tell if its a memory or :confused:a delusion.

Hi.What delusions are you having?

C

codedry

thanks for the reply

its that i hit some one with my car. there is no damage to the front of car but i think i did it. there is a bump on the roof. i dont remember hitting them but remember a bang on the roof.:( and there was a hit and run in the area and i think it was me! this happened back in nov and i didnt realise it was me till feb.

A

Apotheosis

Do you really think that you should be driving codedry?

M

maudikie

maudiekie.

I'm sorry I can't tell you what is a delusion or what is real. I think Apotheosis hasasked if y ou should be driving and I think he is right at least for the moment, until you have sorted yourself out. Stop and think Have you got a driving licence? Was it your own car you were driving? Is it insured? Is it damaged at all? Had you been drinking or taking streetdrugs/ Sort that out and you might be nearer to answering the original question.
Take care.:)

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Are you taking the piss? You better not be some idiot getting his kicks.

C

codedry

not taking the piss. i wish i was !!

i'm not driving any more. i know it seem clear cut but i really do think i did it.
the docture say that i cant go to the police. but i think thats the only way that i would take it that i didnt do it. :unsure:

T

Twylight

Hi Codedry and welcome

Have you been worrying about this since february ?

If you hit somebody in a car it would make a hell of a row

T

Twylight

I suffer from OCD Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

when i use to drive I would worry that i'd unknowingly hit someone and I would want to turn around and check the road - in case they were just injured and i could help them

B

bluedog13

I suffer from OCD Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

when i use to drive I would worry that i'd unknowingly hit someone and I would want to turn around and check the road - in case they were just injured and i could help them
Yes this is a common sympton of OCD, to worry that you've run over someone (when you haven't!). You might have an OCD thing.

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
yes dont worry sounds like the doctor didnt think you did it otherwise he would have made you go to the police i have a mild form of this i'm like miles past asituation i just pass a cyclist then my mind buggers up was i too close to that guy? i could have hit him and not realised etc i think you are fine to drive just be careful