• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Delusions

L

Lab rat

I’ve only ever had mild ones, and certainly no bizarre ones. I was wondering what it felt like?

I wouldn’t say I had delusions of reference. My pdoc told me I have ideas of reference, which is more mild and although I get the same symptoms, I eventually see them for what they are.

if anything I get paranoid delusions but non bizarre. I’ve had some real gems over the years which took my pdoc months to untangle.

but my delusions make me feel bad, not good in any way. I was wondering about grandiose delusions, what are they like? Do they make you feel good?

no reason or ulterior motive for asking, just interested is all.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Some delusions feel AMAZING.
Imagine you were extremely powerful, have friends that are rich and famous or have tons of money and can buy anything you
want. Grandiose delusions are often like that.
But people can have most any kind of
delusion. Some can be scary like if you think you are being watched or that people are after you to kill you. I’d say that delusions can cause you to feel just about any way depending on the type of delusion. I do know that when people come out of the delusion it can be quite scary to know that you had thoughts of the world, yourself and others that were not based in reality. This process can even lead to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder for some.

K

Keesha

I’m not schizophrenic and have been viciously attacked and gang raped. Now I get episodes of severe paranoia where I think people are after me, especially once they start poking fun and realizing I’m different with emotional problems. People can be extremely cruel.

Would this be considered a delusion and justifiable fear?

L

Lab rat

Some delusions feel AMAZING.
Imagine you were extremely powerful, have friends that are rich and famous or have tons of money and can buy anything you
want. Grandiose delusions are often like that.
But people can have most any kind of
delusion. Some can be scary like if you think you are being watched or that people are after you to kill you. I’d say that delusions can cause you to feel just about any way depending on the type of delusion. I do know that when people come out of the delusion it can be quite scary to know that you had thoughts of the world, yourself and others that were not based in reality. This process can even lead to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder for some.
Thanks, that’s what I was asking. I can see how grandiose delusions would make you feel good at the time! Must be hard when reality kicks in. My delusions were always paranoia and made me feel like shite at the time. In one way, it was a relief when reality kicked in, in another way it wasn’t. Realising that it was all in my head can be a hard pill to take. I still have my doubts about some of my old ones to this day!

L

Lab rat

I’m not schizophrenic and have been viciously attacked and gang raped. Now I get episodes of severe paranoia where I think people are after me, especially once they start poking fun and realizing I’m different with emotional problems. People can be extremely cruel.

Would this be considered a delusion and justifiable fear?
Oh my god! I’m so, so sorry to hear that. I hope that with time you feel better. No, I wouldn’t class your mindset as delusions, any paranoia is based in past fact, it’s probably reasonable paranoia that you’re dealing with in an unhealthy way. But I’m not a doc, and that’s what therapy is for.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Thanks, that’s what I was asking. I can see how grandiose delusions would make you feel good at the time! Must be hard when reality kicks in. My delusions were always paranoia and made me feel like shite at the time. In one way, it was a relief when reality kicked in, in another way it wasn’t. Realising that it was all in my head can be a hard pill to take. I still have my doubts about some of my old ones to this day!
I have experienced grandiose delusions
and was really happy and self important
because of them. It was very depressing and even a little surreal to realize that they weren’t actually true.

K

Keesha

I have experienced grandiose delusions
and was really happy and self important
because of them. It was very depressing and even a little surreal to realize that they weren’t actually true.
Oh I have gone through many stages in life like that. In fact I’m just waking up from a long session of happy, self important grand delusions. I’ve never been diagnosed with schizophrenia but my family doctor suggested I suffer with schizo-affective disorder at times which I’ve never been treated for and don’t really understand. All I know is that I have long periods of high energy where I can do a lot of things well , including socialize but the bottom always falls out leaving me feeling surreal. It’s like I suddenly don’t even know myself or really want to.

Perhaps I should look into it since it affects my life so drastically.

Thank you for mentioning that Jessisme.
It’s something I could really relate to yet have never known anyone else who had felt like that.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Oh I have gone through many stages in life like that. In fact I’m just waking up from a long session of happy, self important grand delusions. I’ve never been diagnosed with schizophrenia but my family doctor suggested I suffer with schizo-affective disorder at times which I’ve never been treated for and don’t really understand. All I know is that I have long periods of high energy where I can do a lot of things well , including socialize but the bottom always falls out leaving me feeling surreal. It’s like I suddenly don’t even know myself or really want to.

Perhaps I should look into it since it affects my life so drastically.

Thank you for mentioning that Jessisme.
It’s something I could really relate to yet have never known anyone else who had felt like that.

I have high periods like the ones you describe followed by low periods too. I have been told this is symptomatic of the mania part of Bipolar 1 which I am being treated for. Lithium or Depakote are supposed to eliminate the highs thereby eliminating the lows. I think grandiose delusions are also found in Schizophrenia and Psychosis too. I know where you are coming from and send hugs and support from my end:’it’s not an easy place to be. :hug:

K

Keesha

I have high periods like the ones you describe followed by low periods too. I have been told this is symptomatic of the mania part of Bipolar 1 which I am being treated for. Lithium or Depakote are supposed to eliminate the highs thereby eliminating the lows. I think grandiose delusions are also found in Schizophrenia and Psychosis too. I know where you are coming from and send hugs and support from my end:’it’s not an easy place to be. :hug:
This is mind boggling. When I was 18, I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and was treated with lithium which lowered my blood pressure to the point of passing out. After many trials and errors of prescription drugs, epival was prescribed successfully , which I believe is Depakote but over the years I went off of it since I wasn’t getting any manic episodes. My general practitioner of 12 years told me just before he retired that he figured I was more schizoaffective than bi-polar & strongly suggested counselling. I didn’t take him seriously until today. After your posts I researched this and figure I am definitely closer suited to this disorder than bipolar. I’m schizoaffective on the Bipolar side. THIS explained my extreme paranoia perfectly and is the link thats been missing. I’ve been trying to deal with this drug free and at times it’s horrendously painful. I’m a bit freaked out but relieved at the same time. Tomorrow I am calling to make an appointment to get properly diagnosed. I’m so glad I discovered this. For the longest time I just thought I was a bad person and blamed myself.
Thank you for helping me understand this. 🌺😊

L

Lab rat

Hi, that’s really interesting. Are the grandiose symptoms linked to the highs that you get with mania? Thinking about it, it makes sense to me. If you’re feeling really high, then you would get high delusions. That could account for why I’ve never had one, I’m always flat which for me is normal or depressed, which is when I get the paranoid ideas. Thanks for your post. I really enjoyed it :thanks:

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hi, that’s really interesting. Are the grandiose symptoms linked to the highs that you get with mania? Thinking about it, it makes sense to me. If you’re feeling really high, then you would get high delusions. That could account for why I’ve never had one, I’m always flat which for me is normal or depressed, which is when I get the paranoid ideas. Thanks for your post. I really enjoyed it :thanks:
That’s what I’m told. Then when you come down from the high you fall into depression. Not all people with Bipolar experience grandiose delusions but from what I understand it’s not uncommon.