• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

delusions

Abbierad92

Abbierad92

Has anyone had delusions before and wish to share their experience?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I used to be very delusional.
I still get the same thoughts as I used to, but now the thoughts aren't as believable to me as they once were and I can recognise that they're unlikely to be true.

But my delusions were particularly around being watched and having my thoughts being broadcast.
I thought that my thoughts were played on a speaker to people around me and that they all knew what I was thinking.
I also believed that my thoughts could 'transfer' to somebody else - say for instance, if I wore their hat or slept on their pillow - I believed they would be able to hear every thought i'd ever had.

Also, I thought songs that were played on the radio and on the TV were messages that I was being spied on.
If I listened to a song and then went out and heard it playing in a shop, that was a message that I was being filmed and tracked.

Those were really difficult times and as I said, I still get those thoughts now. Also, I sometimes think i'm being followed or somebody who wants me to have an accident has tampered with my car. :unsure:

I can't really say there was any one thing that released me from the grip of delusions. I think reducing my overall anxiety level and spending more time around people helped.

Faylen

Faylen

I have struggled a lot with delusions. Mainly based around paranoia and suspicion that people are conspiring against me - whether that be family, work colleagues - even the government :/. They can range from small to big. For example I become obsessed with the idea that people were messing with my toothbrush I was fearing it was purposely being touched to do something horrible to my mouth and ended up buying fake ones and hiding my real one. I once became convinced that I could not go into my local shop because the people that worked there were spying on me and reporting to the government as part of a brainwashing conspiracy.

It goes on and on..

I would love to tell you I do not experience this anymore but I still have similar delusions even now.

Tough road.

DavidJames

DavidJames

I've had delusions, yes, many delusions in my life since my schizophrenia started.
And one by one I've knocked them down. And I've suffered a lot in the process. The interesting thing is that a mind stuck in delusion does not want to recover, and is not keen to change once the delusion is embedded.
And I've learned that this is connected to how deeply you understand your voices, how well you have negotiated relationships to them and how well you have taken your own masterful place among them.
One or two experiences that once I considered delusional I have had to integrate into my life and accept as new spiritual beliefs. They do not affect my anxiety or hinder my recovery and I am not afraid of evolving in my spritual beliefs, that is fine to me.

F

FieldOfRoses

My latest delusion was that the doctor was trying to kill me because I thought the medicine was slowly deteriorating my brain.

The common delusion I have is that everyone is watching me and talking about me. I feel like I'm being watched and followed even when I'm alone in the house. I thought I was being watched from my vent once.

Sometimes I will have delusions about demons. Those are scary.

U

UMPALUMPA

i dont know what is dulusional at the moment, i avoid eye contact because i worry people know what i am thinking if i look at them, part of me thinks it cant happen but i still fear it tremendiously, i have only just stopped wearing hats all the time thinking its easyier for people to see my thoughts without the hats.

Last summer was Awfull and embarassing i was wearing Beanie Hats in my mums garden - No Joke!

I would also wear Beanie Hats inside my Flat when my Social Worker came to see me or my Mum.

queenpink

queenpink

I am often convinced everyone hates me and thinks im a horrible person.I also think that people would be happy to see me die.I think these are delusions.I cant tell when i get a delusion it has to be pointed out to meI get really paranoid a lot and i hear voices.I dont know why i suspect schizophrenia but my psychiatrist and his team wont tell me they hate labeling people apparently.

C

Christobel

I had something I believe is called a Delusion of Grandeur - I thought I was a famous person. My psychiatrist said this was a major sign of schizophrenia, but the diagnosis I was eventually given was schizoaffective disorder.

Nikita

Nikita

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Well when I was going through psychosis my main delusion was about aliens and what David Icke said about some people being half human and half reptilian and could shape shift.

The staff in the hospital knew I thought this and would pretend they were aliens and wind me up.One of them told me stories of when he was shapeshifted into his reptilian form and fought with a crocodile!

I also thought that the map of the world was only half the world and that the other half was secret to most of the population but that TPTB could fly over there whenever they wanted and went there in concord at secret times,this other half of the world mirrored this one but was run in Orwellian nightmare style with most of the population brainwashed and strictly controlled.

I used to think I could see UFO and the moon looked like it had grass and oceans on it.

Anyway that is a very strong delusion I had under psychosis.What worries me is the not so obvious delusions people have of themselves and their lives.Like when they say I am not racist,it is just that other's are too politically correct.

Or myself when I thought my sister loved me when she was really out to literally kill me and get me to write my will in her family's favor,how could I have been so deluded?

These kind of things are delusions that are really worrying.Like the woman being abused verbally and emotionally by her husband who thinks her mental illness/depression is the problem.

These types of delusions worry me not the one's so obviously divorced from reality but the subtle lies we tell ourselves so as not to face reality or be ripped out of our comfort zone.

We could all do with being more honest with ourselves.Nikitax

Last edited:
Kerome

Kerome

I'm not sure if I ever had any real delusions... My experiences during my episode were more like daydreams that I half believed but still thought I needed proof for. I did do some very strange things, looking for that proof. But it was always with the idea, well it could be true, or it could not. I wasn't carried away convinced that it was true, which is the case with real delusions.

But I did have a lot of sensory experiences, everything from audible to tactile to visions of the inside of my body and spiritual energy body, and like DavidJames I was eventually convinced to modify some of my spiritual beliefs to accommodate a few new things that I had no frame of reference for.

These days thankfully my brain is a lot more quiet.

queenpink

queenpink

oh i forgot to tell ye about the psychosis i got when i wasnt on meds for it.I thought there were demons in my room they told me to go out without shoes on and naked i did go out with shoes on and a dress that the top was a bit see through.By they i mean the voices.I was also convinced i was being raped by demons and i was dead so i didnt eat for 3 days or sleep.I then took a bus to the next town over trying to get to heaven and then started trying every door i could see to get to heaven.I am soooo embarrassed now looking back on what i did.My psychiatrist wont tell me why i hear voices or get delusions or paranoia.Also for the record i am an atheist

Yellowbrickbridge

Yellowbrickbridge

Old thread but ..

My most recent delusions in the past few months include people I know stalking me and bugging my house. Close people around me hypnotizing me. Objects around me having presences of others which if I touch violate me (still have this). Doctors trying to poison and kill me... the list goes on. :unsure:

I have other delusions of grandeur which are too ridiculous to talk about right now but mainly because I still believe them.

Last edited:
Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

I am convinced that my activities are being monitored. For instance when I created my account here I made a new email address specifically for use with this account with different passwords than my other email accounts. I have multiple personal email accounts for use with contacting different people/companies based upon how secure they are. Ie if I only moderately trust a website or individual I give them my common address but if they have a higher security clearance then they get a different address. All of my accounts have different multiple case shift alphanumeric passwords to make them more secure in case one is comprised . Also I will only access certain accounts on 4g connected devices and some only on public hotspots and others on family member's secure routers. I also have location based services disabled on all my devices and use counter measures to spoof location and ip addresses.

K

karenwashername0

A thought reading/seeing delusion. I talked to people through my mind, telepathically i guess by sending them pictures or words and alot of times I expected them to respond verbally.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i think it's healthy for people to discuss. i've had a lot of them, some are hard to explain. Happened over 7 main episodes/breakdowns -

Age 17 - That i'd lost my soul to the devil & uncovered a dark Global Alien plot being orchestrated by the devil to turn everyone into a kind of zombie, using high technology & then destroy the World. This plan was in it's advanced stages, & the majority of people were in a kind of zombie state. Lead to 4 months on a locked ward.

Age 21 - That i was the reincarnation of St Paul - A manic high that lasted months ended in a massive crash, where i was convinced that people thought i was the Antichrist & were planning to kidnap, torture & kill me. i reasoned that the best solution was suicide & after a serious attempt was again hospitalised. i'd become convinced by this stage that i was the Antichrist.

Age 25 - Gets harder to explain them all from here - That i was the incarnation of the Creator of the Universe, & had existed in various forms throughout history. That i was under surveillance/monitoring by satellites. Lead to another hospitalisation.

Age 26 - There was a kind of continuation of religious delusions - lead to another hospitalisation.

Age 28 to 31 - Various stuff. That a brood of snakes was living under the sink. That serious criminals had keys to the flat, were entering while i wasn't there, committing serious crimes in my clothes, & then returning them to frame me. That i was having my identity stolen & being turned into a zombie by black magicians. That i was under surveillance constantly & being followed by Agents. That there were underground cities, roadways & tunnels that connected peoples houses. That some people were cyborgs, i was convinced a MH worker at the time was a robot. That i was going to be assassinated by special forces who had surrounded the house.

i had a very complex delusion mixed in with all that where i believed that i'd found the location of an ancient crashed mother ship, & i was the leader of a light side alien resistance fighting a war with dark alien forces - & that i'd been infected with a virus released by them. That people close to me were wearing skin/body suits as disguises. That i was a vampire immortal as well at one stage. That my mum was going to turn me into a cat. That very high technological devices were in everything.

Had a very odd one that i was existing as part of Jesus's family, in 2 time streams, & that there were 2 families & 2 of everyone/everything, one real & one fake, one good/one evil. Kind of like parallel worlds, coexisting in 2 time frames.

That the car had a bomb in it.

i could go on with it all. Pure delusional madness. Have been free of it all 11 years.