Delusional disorder

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi All,
My psychiatrist is now querying if I have delusional disorder and not paranoid schizophrenia.
Anyone have delusional disorder? I seem to have more symptoms of delusional disorder.
Thanks

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya Mayflower. I haven't heard of it before. I don't know what to add as I don't understand. What do you make of this? Do you agree?

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
I hadn't heard of it either, googled it and matches many of my symptoms.
I think might be correct diagnosis, however it is still on the schizophrenia spectrum.
I am hopefully changing psychiatrists so will see what the new one thinks.
It's very rare apparently.
Thanks

J

Jonathan_P

Maybe you had "Schizophrenia" however because of remission you now have "Delusional Disorder?" Just a guess. In any case it seems like a "better" diagnosis.
: )

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Thanks, I don't think I did have paranoid schizophrenia. It is a better diagnosis for me to have.

N

nightmare57

I think with delusional disorder the delusions have to be non-bizarre meaning that there could be some truth in them, ie FBI are spying on me. At the beginning of my treatment years ago I had possible delusional disorder diagnosis as my delusions revolved around my neighbours but when they progressed into more bizarre delusions which couldn't be true they made my diagnosis Schizoaffective Disorder.

Edit. Upon reading more about it you can have bizarre delusions with delusional disorder, it just means you are symptom free of the more pronounced SZ symptoms like disorganised thoughts and hallucinations. I wonder if you're also free of the negative symptoms like Anhedonia and flat effect?

Last edited: