• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Delusion and lie detector

H

Habs

Would a lie detector cure someone’s delusion and a fixed belief? Has anyone tried this or is it a complete waste of time and money? My partner wants me to take a lie detector to prove I haven’t cheated on him, he has stopped taking meds for 2 weeks and now he is asking me for this? I don’t think his state of mind would cope with the results as he is completely unaware and is 100% convinced he is right. He even took it so far to split up our family and we have 3 children! Or would it make him finally realise something is wrong and he needs help? Advice anyone?

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
So sorry to hear about this, Habs.

Do you think a lie detector would convince him? Or d'you think his mental illness would create a new dialogue explaining that the test was faulty and the result can't be trusted?

I think you need to be firm with the message that you have done nothing wrong and don't need to prove yourself. It must be horrible for you and I'm sorry you're going through this. :hug:

H

Habs

Hi thanks for replying. I really don’t know, I have read things that the results would be twisted as it’s a fixed belief and nothing can change this! But then if he did accept the results I worry for him as before all this happened he was the perfect family man and his family meant the world to him. He stopped smoking cannabis and all hell broke loose, he moved me and his children out of our family home after months of hell! I worry he would not be able to forgive himself for the things he has done! He has been prescribed anti pyschotics but has recently stopped them, so maybe him asking me for this is a sign the pyschosis is coming back as while he was taking meds his delusion took a back seat and didn’t seem to matter to him, all he wanted was his family back.

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
Hi thanks for replying. I really don’t know, I have read things that the results would be twisted as it’s a fixed belief and nothing can change this! But then if he did accept the results I worry for him as before all this happened he was the perfect family man and his family meant the world to him. He stopped smoking cannabis and all hell broke loose, he moved me and his children out of our family home after months of hell! I worry he would not be able to forgive himself for the things he has done! He has been prescribed anti pyschotics but has recently stopped them, so maybe him asking me for this is a sign the pyschosis is coming back as while he was taking meds his delusion took a back seat and didn’t seem to matter to him, all he wanted was his family back.
Why has he stopped taking the anti-psychotic? It does sound as if he may be getting delusional again. Coming off cannabis can't be a picnic either - too many changes to his brain chemistry in one hit...

H

Habs

Why has he stopped taking the anti-psychotic? It does sound as if he may be getting delusional again. Coming off cannabis can't be a picnic either - too many changes to his brain chemistry in one hit...
He’s hated them from the start, it’s always been a battle for the doctors to get him started on meds. The problem is he dosent believe he is ill so has never truly thought he needed medication!

N

Nukelavee

My understanding is that he would just warp whatever results there were to match his delusion.

Also -lie detectors measure stress, not honesty. All it could tell is that you are, or aren't, nervous.

MAny people don't like their anti-psychotics because they make them feel slow and dull.

R

redpillar

do not take the test. consult a professional on how to handle a situation like this.