• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Degree course and benefits

Funnyday

Funnyday

I'm thinking about next year going back to education part-time. Would I be able to claim PIP and ESA when on a part-time degree course?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
You can claim PIP

ESA, i think as long as you don't have a bursary or student loan, you can apply. I don't know whether you would be less likely to get it though

Please double check that with CAB

Funnyday

Funnyday

The only student loan would be for fees. No other income.

Funnyday

Funnyday

Yes, I've been looking at an Open degree with the OU. It will allow me to use previous studies as credits towards a degree with them.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

The OU are excellent. I have one module completed and a few others started but not finished. Their learning materials are second to none.

Passionflower

Passionflower

I used to do a degree with the OU and I was able to get ESA and PIP.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
it's a no of years ago that this women writing in the mind magazine did a degree as disabled and in the final year the dwp stopped her disabled help and she had a breakdown

they probably felt it'd motivate her to get a job you have to be careful how these clarks think and the goverment has told them whatever happens they won't be held responsible

at that is a loan really that serious they can't get blood out of a stone

i've sometimes thought of things, guess at my age

N

natalie

No. The reasons why I say no, becasue as long as you are getting your benefits - money financially, then, that's that aspect, you don't want to disurb that.

So therefore, off course you can opt for a education course, be it which ever level, of course, you apply for, and your benefits won't be affected.

The benefits would only be a problem, if you were t hen to be settling into a part time job, and have to declare earnings, and I don't even know if htere is a celing amount for part time, whilst getting a benefit.

So the best ploy me thinks, and it could just be I might have misunderstood something along the way before preparing this post, just don't advise or say, that you are about to embark on a course, and on course for a long time timeframe depending, and that way, your benefits can't be affected.

Best regards.all.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
apple can you apply for a student loan for a part time degree while you're in the esa support group? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
J What's more important, GCSE maths and english or a degree? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
lostgirl19 Studying for a degree Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 13
C Starting an OU psychology degree in October Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 12
Wiseowl Part-Time Degree Funding Changes Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
N Applying for a post grad degree Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
Screechout College course and being on limited capability for work and work-related activity Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
M Can I do a course at the Open University if I'm on ESA and PIP? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 16
J UC Training Course Anxiety Attack Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
S Advice on doing an OU course while claiming ESA and PIP Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
U ESA and full time college course. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
S First aid course Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
S ESA & 2hr per week college course (stressed) Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
L Financial management course Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
G Regretting Course Choice and Neglecting Studies Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
A Applying for OU Course Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 24
D Mortgage on benefits ?? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
R broadband for people on benefits Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 17
D Anxiety About Benefits Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
R benefits and peoples opinion Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
D Benefits fraud Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
daffy Guide to pip benefits and claiming Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
Anime-Alchemy Benefits money and use Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
D Schizoaffective and on £990 a month benefits Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 108
Z I've had my benefits reduced ! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 62
D Double edged sword - work and benefits Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 10
Funnyday Benefits and Student finance Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
L Benefits for mentally ill in UK and living on my own. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
Funnyday Moving and Benefits Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
Z benefits news from the I paper today Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 0
Fairy Lucretia suporting letter for benefits Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
I Benefits Guilt Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 43
F Benefits system causing ‘unneccesary distress’ to people with mental health problems, report says Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
F Mentally ill people more at risk of losing benefits, study shows Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
S Horror, benefits, all advice welcome, thanks Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 0
N I told my named nurse that I'm worried about losing my disability benefits if I'm seen as well. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
AliceinWonderland To Those Who Think it 'Must be nice to be on Benefits/Disability' - stigma and prejudice Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 13
I Benefits question Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 15
Fairy Lucretia if i don't get my benefits Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 12
Artmuzz Welfare benefits when sharing flat with friend Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 10
S Mental Health is better so I want to try volunteering but am afraid of losing my benefits! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
H Benefits entitlement Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 0
F advice on hospital rules and benefits available to me Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
J I have bipolar disorder and have been denied from disability benefits, what should I do ? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
B Applied for Unemployment Benefits Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
L The people with mental health problems that are being stripped of their benefits Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
Not_Crazy_Yet I lost my Ebt foodstamps benefits Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 28
Heart_moon Receiving E.S.A. support group Benefits - but not unwell enough to get P.I.P. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 8
N causing chaos because of benefits. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
cpuusage Disability benefits: PIPs assessment firms 'to get extra £200m' Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2