• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Definitely hypomania - please help

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

I really shouldn't be here right now, but I want to document how I'm feeling while I'm feeling it.

The best way I can think to describe it is as if I just drank a full cup of coffee...I'm so physically tired, but i can't relax. I do worry about things which elevate my anxiety, but then I can get it to a dull mild level again. I'm so tired from working out. I did a jog/walk today and moved my arms around a lot instead of my steady walk this time. I had this energy I haven't had in years, but now I'm spent, but with that restlessness. I want to cry for a few reasons-that thing that's troubling me...i want to be there to address it, but I know I just need to rest my mind. I'm stressed about remembering to set meat out to thaw when I just want to call it quits for the day (it's too early to set it out now). I'm so tired, but my mind is bored. I'm thinking about all the things I want to write. Started to add to my story for the writing camp coming up since I'm finally feeling inspiration again, but had to stop typing because I was...you guessed it! Too tired (to hold my arms up).

Plus what doesn't help is this neck ache that I woke up with, but forgot to mention all day.

Oh, I didn't even finish that thought! So I want to cry (another reason because I'm frustrated with my marriage and very stressed there, plus the doctor app being canceled) but I can't make tears! Like it feels like that overwhelmed feeling you get right before you vomit, but you only dry heave. Well, it's like that, only I dry cry...sorta...only I don't get the relief after...

So I guess I'm also irritable, but it's not as bad as earlier. Oh but I still feel angry at my husband when I think of his complaining tonight. Something about the mess in the kitchen. I had just worked out, I was too tired to even finish with the yoga/stretch I usually do after and this just tightened back up all my muscles that the exercise was helping. Again, I can calm it down again, but then it sparks up again. It's as if my brain is saying, "oh! You wanna relax? Well too damn bad for you! Haha!" Evil brain...

Ok, that's probably enough. I don't wanna bother anyone. I just wanted you to know what I'm going through right now, whatever it may be called. It's not fun. :/

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

I didn't read through but anxiety and hypomania are polar opposites, and you can't possibly get them mixed up. Hypomania is a euphoric feeling.

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

@BetaMale hypomania can be euphoric or dysphoric in nature...although I suppose I have some euphoria with some of my thoughts, but it's mostly dysphoric irritability and anger

I'm most definitely experiencing hypomania. I slept maybe 2 hours and have been awake since. This sucks!

Edit: plus, this couldn't have come at a worse time when everything is going on lockdown and I can't talk to a psychiatrist or even my GP! Help me please! Or at the least, send me well wishes folks. Thanks!

K

Keesha

I didn't read through but anxiety and hypomania are polar opposites, and you can't possibly get them mixed up. Hypomania is a euphoric feeling.
Oh no sir. You most certainly CAN have both!

K

Keesha

@BetaMale hypomania can be euphoric or dysphoric in nature...although I suppose I have some euphoria with some of my thoughts, but it's mostly dysphoric irritability and anger

I'm most definitely experiencing hypomania. I slept maybe 2 hours and have been awake since. This sucks!

Edit: plus, this couldn't have come at a worse time when everything is going on lockdown and I can't talk to a psychiatrist or even my GP! Help me please! Or at the least, send me well wishes folks. Thanks!
Hey AnxiousE. I was diagnosed with bipolar in 1980. Lithium made me pass out so epivil became my drug of choice for years.
Over the years my mania episodes were more like hypomania but basically harmless.
Since I’m more holistic in my approach I found my best solution to toning down my anxiety and hypomania by taking 5 htp and Magnesium Bisglycinate. The combination together is incredible. My husband had severe insomnia. The only way he could sleep was to take over the counter sleeping pills. Nothing worked. Finally I suggested this and it’s not only worked to help him sleep again but he no longer blows his lid. His underlining anxiety seems to have settled significantly. After over 30 years this man is finally settling down. Now we are both less frantic and it a welcome change. I’m not sure how open you are to natural supplements but magnesium is nature’s calming mineral. That’s why Epsom salt baths work so well for relieving aches and pains. It’s filled with magnesium.

note: can be ordered online

K

Keesha

If you want to go the conventional method, lorazepam seems to work well for calming anxiety. Best of luck.

Rowan

Rowan

:hug1: to AnxiousE.

How do you feel today?

Is there any emergency number you can call in this situation?

My husband had to call the non urgent number the other day (like the non urgent version of 999/911) and he managed to get a phone session with a doctor later that day.

Since I’m more holistic in my approach I found my best solution to toning down my anxiety and hypomania by taking 5 htp and Magnesium Bisglycinate. The combination together is incredible.
That is interesting information, thanks.x I'm taking 5-htp but I hadn't heard about that type of magnesium. Off to read about it.

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

@Keesha @Rowan -Thanks! I'll elaborate but this post is for everyone reading.

Ok, so thank you for the suggestion, Keesha. I would prefer a holistic approach if possible because I just hated the fact that meds made me gain wait. Ok, questions though- did you mean biglycinate or glycinate for the magnesium, because I have the latter. I forgot about it being good for relaxation though and I haven't been using it regularly (hubby swears it puts him to sleep. It never put me to sleep, but relaxed me). Oh, yea, plus my depression was so bothersome, I don't really wanna go off my antidepressants but you think I would have to? Oh, also what do each of the supplements treat exactly?

Fyi, I have contacted my GP via email about all of this, my questions and concerns about not being able to see him and everything.

Rowan, I'm sure there has to be an emergency number, and technically I still have a televisit with my GP Thursday, but was probably not going to do that unless doctor insists. Thanks for your concern...

As for how I am today, well, I just woke up from a 1 hour nap. Someone else suggested lavender oil and chamomile tea (among some other things)...well I have a mix of the 2 in a diffuser and that helped. I've gotta get up to switch out the laundry and put away the meat,...and I really wanna watch House (lol omg), but I know my health comes first so I'll see about maybe sleeping more. Ohhh and omg, stupid me! I forgot my Clonazepam (for anxiety) yesterday. That could have made a difference. But I've forgotten it before and I don't think it gave me all these symptoms...although it might have kept me awake. My memory isn't perfect. But still, all these other feelings, I haven't felt in over 2 years during my last suspected hypomanic episodes. (Or rather dysphoric type ones as I did have some mild euphoric episodes in January and February of this year)

Anyway, thanks again folks! I'll probably just be lurking most of the rest of the day though if online at all, just for any more tips...but I really should rest and avoid overstimulating myself. :)

calypso

calypso

Admin
Oh I am sorry you are going through this. I am diagnosed bipolar and when I was last manic I painted the whole house in three days purple yellow and tourquoise! Then we tried to sell the house!! It didn't go down well. Then I crashed and burned. Do you usually crash after a manic episode? All that exhaustion takes its toll and eventually your brain makes you just stop! But you clearly aren't there yet.

I hate mania and don't get the euphoria others talk about for long. Then I get the irritibility and the anger. I usually think I'm invincible too and do amazingly dangerous things like drive the car at 80 miles an hour around town. My daughter takes away my keys these days.

I have never found natural rememdies work for me and I am on a cocktail of drugs which suit me.

Rowan

Rowan

I've gotta get up to switch out the laundry and put away the meat,...and I really wanna watch House (lol omg), but I know my health comes first so I'll see about maybe sleeping more. Ohhh and omg, stupid me! I forgot my Clonazepam (for anxiety) yesterday. That could have made a difference. But I've forgotten it before and I don't think it gave me all these symptoms...although it might have kept me awake. My memory isn't perfect.
Lol @ House.:LOL:

Oh, hopefully that is just what it was, that you forgot to take your Clonazepam. I keep my medication somewhere very obvious now so I remember to take it as I forget too.

K

Keesha

@Keesha @Rowan -Thanks! I'll elaborate but this post is for everyone reading.

Ok, so thank you for the suggestion, Keesha. I would prefer a holistic approach if possible because I just hated the fact that meds made me gain wait. Ok, questions though- did you mean biglycinate or glycinate for the magnesium, because I have the latter. I forgot about it being good for relaxation though and I haven't been using it regularly (hubby swears it puts him to sleep. It never put me to sleep, but relaxed me). Oh, yea, plus my depression was so bothersome, I don't really wanna go off my antidepressants but you think I would have to? Oh, also what do each of the supplements treat exactly?

Fyi, I have contacted my GP via email about all of this, my questions and concerns about not being able to see him and everything.
You’re welcome.
I meant magnesium glycinate which is what a wrote specifically.
Whether you stay on antidepressants or go off them is completely up to you and your doctor. I don’t see why you can’t take both but I’m not the one prescribing you the drugs you are currently on. You are best off doing your own research and discussing it with your health practitioner.

You can find out exactly what each supplement does by doing a google search.

When you were seeking help with this, my suggestions were just for you. They weren’t generic ones for everyone’s use. If people choose to research these and experiment with them, it needs to be noted that it is their choice. I am not recommending it for everyone. EAE50AA1-17BB-4067-952E-D371BDFE2B03.jpeg2B77D8BF-13B7-4EA3-856E-549624E204D2.jpeg

Catty5

Catty5

Hello

Hope you’re ok. How long does your manic phase last usually? Does severe depression follow? Are you on any mood stabilizer or antipsychotic?

Anecdotal studies say people with bipolar should not take St Johns Warts.
And Omega 3, Magnesium, Vitamin C are effectIve but results of researches are inconclusive.

I’m in CA. We have psychiatric urgent care and 24/7 psych hospital. Do you have anything in your state? It’s better to see a doc.

K

Keesha

Oh I am sorry you are going through this. I am diagnosed bipolar and when I was last manic I painted the whole house in three days purple yellow and tourquoise! Then we tried to sell the house!! It didn't go down well. Then I crashed and burned. Do you usually crash after a manic episode? All that exhaustion takes its toll and eventually your brain makes you just stop! But you clearly aren't there yet.

I hate mania and don't get the euphoria others talk about for long. Then I get the irritibility and the anger. I usually think I'm invincible too and do amazingly dangerous things like drive the car at 80 miles an hour around town. My daughter takes away my keys these days.

I have never found natural rememdies work for me and I am on a cocktail of drugs which suit me.
Hahaha. Yes! This sounds familiar.
When I went manic I hitched hiked across the country to the mountains, bought and motorcycle and drove it across the country. I did acid, magic mushrooms and other crazy stuff and would stay up for days on end. I’d have dozens of projects I’d start and never finish and could have a conversation with 15 topics and manage it all perfectly well; or at least in my mind I did. 😂

Ballsy, is an understatement to how I was. Once I went on a skiing trip with Western University and we stayed in a pretty plush hotel and partied all week. I know I got some sleep but it was so little. Going manic was a blast. The concerts and parties I attended were awesome though and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

The aftermath: Bitchy as ever from lack of sleep and then CRASH ( big time )🥴
It’s like the ground disappears suddenly and you get swallowed up from sheer grief.
The higher I was up the further down I fell and some of it was horrid.

Throughout my life I’d spontaneously go on interior camping 🏕 trips with a canoe to portage and be gone for 3 weeks carrying our own food etc. I’m still like that somewhat but not quite as active because I’m older. This year I bought a pair of kayaks through and can’t wait to use them.

My high manias have turned into mild hypomania episodes that are manageable.
It brings out my creativity and I dive head first into my hobbies but when depressed I sleep a lot and don’t want to do much. It’s been a while since I’ve gone through a depression but I really work at making sure I don’t go there.

Post menopause truly has made a significant difference in my mental health. Hormonal changes were brutal on me.

K

Keesha

St. John’s wort interacts were a lot of substances and isn’t recommended.
There are far better supplements to take though.