• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Define a flashback

Z

Zookie

Hi guys :)
I'm just trying to learn myself here. Please could you help me understand what a flashback is (I have googled it) and please could you give a couple of examples with context?
It would really help me, thanks

B

Blackrose09

I wold like an example of hyper vigilance from someone? And how this is different from intese anxiety.

Sorry I can't help you with flashbacks because i don't have them often and they are not true flashbacks but more intrusive images with the trauma.

S

singingspringtime

I wold like an example of hyper vigilance from someone? And how this is different from intese anxiety.
Hypervigilance is a heightened state of awareness and watchfulness. It's not anxiety as that comes along with many thoughts about the what ifs of what could happen. Hypervigilance is more where you see, hear, smell everything in your surroundings. ie; noone can sneak up on you because you're highly attuned to everything. Hypervigilance is born of anxiety.. of a need to keep yourself safe, but it's not anxiety itself.

Hi guys :)
I'm just trying to learn myself here. Please could you help me understand what a flashback is (I have googled it) and please could you give a couple of examples with context?
It would really help me, thanks
Flashbacks are basically memories, but instead of only partially being with the memory in the way you would be if you were simply thinking of an event in the past, a flashback drags you back into the past, and you relive it as though you were right back there again.

There is another type of flashback called an emotional flashback. That's where instead of reliving the memory in a visual sense, you're dragged right back to the emotional state that you were in at the time.

B

Blackrose09

Thank you so much. I never heard a better description of these two symptoms of ptsd.
And can i ask what medication you take for ptsd if you have it or how do you manage your symptoms... If I don't bother to much

B

Blackrose09

This hypervigilance make feel very awake and I almost always have trouble sleeping because of it.

W

WutheringHeights

I also have a question about flashbacks, in that moment are you aware that you are reliving past event and are there some psychical manifestations people can see from the outside?

Zero One

Zero One

Flashbacks are basically memories, but instead of only partially being with the memory in the way you would be if you were simply thinking of an event in the past, a flashback drags you back into the past, and you relive it as though you were right back there again.

There is another type of flashback called an emotional flashback. That's where instead of reliving the memory in a visual sense, you're dragged right back to the emotional state that you were in at the time.
I couldn't have explained it better. This explanation fits my experience of what a flashback is.