• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Deeply Disturbing

Mark_01

Mark_01

I found this film to be deeply disturbing, as I see some of myself in it. After watching it, I was very confused and unhappy; some of the drugs they mention I have taken, or am currently taking. It is about Bellevue Hospital and its psychiatric patients.

Wiseowl

Wiseowl

I find this very useful because it gives me insight into other countries MH systems.

I do wonder about the ethics around consent to be filmed and if the programme is really trying to raise awareness or using shock value to gain viewing figures.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I found this film to be deeply disturbing, as I see some of myself in it. After watching it, I was very confused and unhappy; some of the drugs they mention I have taken, or am currently taking. It is about Bellevue Hospital and its psychiatric patients.
What specifically do you find disturbing about it all? The treatment? The behaviour of the patients? Something else?

i ask in part because you & a majority of people defend, condone & justify the current mental health treatment system.

Gajolene

Gajolene

JS was watching it with me for a while but a certain part came up and it deeply disturbed him as well as it hit close to home with him. He got angry and left the room. I'm about half way through now.

Mark_01

Mark_01

That is what I found disturbing, it hits too close to home.

V

vimes

I watched it a few weeks ago. Just watched a bit at a time.
very difficult.

V

vimes

they clearly like to use straps and solitary over there.
Anyone experienced it?

Mark_01

Mark_01

I've made it in the front door a few times, and even had a bed of my own for several hours. I think they only do straps and solitary with the deeply disturbed and/or combative types. I'm more of the anxious-irrational type with racing thoughts and very long sentences changing from subject to subject; the stream of consciousness flows very fast.

Mark_01

Mark_01

What specifically do you find disturbing about it all? The treatment? The behaviour of the patients? Something else?

i ask in part because you & a majority of people defend, condone & justify the current mental health treatment system.
It is the desperation of the patients and how they are begging for help, and there is none. The only cure they have is drugs, a bed, restraints if necessary, a psychiatric staff that is under incredible pressure. The police are there. Social workers that may or may not help you. Fellow patients. The place is raw insanity. And when they send you out the door, you might not have a place to go.

V

vimes

I've never seen restraints or solitary used myself.
I am the paranoid type who believes the world and specifically MH staff are out to get me.
So indeed a very happy patient :rolleyes:
Spent months at times in MH wards while they are trying to get me to respond to treatment. Being somewhat non-compliant means it is a constant conflict.
voluntary committed because everything is falling apart and they promise they can help but then they turn against me and break all their promises.
Yes I recognised a lot of it. Very very difficult.

C

Christobel

I have watched the first half of the film, and when I have got over the horror of it, will watch the other half. I have been in several acute mental hospitals, and although have been in with disturbed patients and even attacked by them, I would say they were more peaceful than Bellevue. I think they edit it to show the worst patients and not the quiet, compliant ones. Also the hospitals I was in were much smaller.

Mark_01

Mark_01

I've seen the restraints, but not solitary, guess I was in the wrong part of the hospital.

Saw a guy in shackles with four policemen and two medics surrounding him while he was being admitted. They took him off somewhere. Funny thing happened, I was left alone in the waiting room and a doctor came in, she thought I was the other guy and was shocked to see me there without restraints and guards. To convince her I was not the other guy, I had to show her my Veterans' identification card.

Last edited:
Gajolene

Gajolene

What got me is how noisy with people it was there, but then Bellvue being in new york I suppose it would be, our psych hospital is much nicer and less crowded. JD had to be tackled by police once and tied down. He was barking ferociously like a large dog and attacking anyone going near him when he realised we were at the hospital then they restrained him and took through the employee elevators up to the acute care psych. He has no recollection of the event, he had lost all connection with reality.They told me he barked for several hours till the sedatives kicked in. He remembers almost nothing of the first two weeks of that admission.

Gajolene

Gajolene

My own 4 admissions were much less disturbing, for depression and sleep deprevation, PTSD associated and consisted of me crying and sleeping mainly till I felt well enough to go home. Three were voluntary. Always released within 72 hours.

Mark_01

Mark_01

I've never made it past a full day. The one time they were going to commit me, I managed to talk them out of it, the reason being my stuff, a duffle bag of clothes, was in a hotel room on the other side of Seattle and I repeatedly promised to be good and return the next day. I returned the next day and they put me in a group home for homeless Veterans. Over the next couple of months, it seemed like they were seeing me every couple of days at the psychiatric clinic in the Veterans' Hospital. So if that counts, I guess I was committed for a few months.