• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Decided to give antidepressants a shot what do you guys think

D

dylan1994

Alright so I started having weird symptoms back in august. Loss of sex drive and what not right before going away to college. Then I had anxiety there, just always felt out of it and life felt foggy. Eventually dropped out of college I was constantly calling my mom and telling her how I felt. Recently I have begun to drive myself nuts with my thoughts. I constantly have weird intrusive thoughts, and what is killing me the most is sleep. Just recently observed my thoughts and what struck me the most was the thought of never being able to get out of this situation I'm in (suicide) I have tried exercise its not helping, I have tried meditation that's not helping and just recently got a consoler. As I lay here its now 5:11 am where I am posting from. My sleep schedule for the past three days was stay awake all night one night thinking about myself, then fell asleep last night to now I have been up all night. Im 20 never had issues with depression/anxiety until now. What do you guys think will I be on them forever if I start? I can't live like I have been now its just not healthy and I'm wasting moments of my life stuck in my head.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
At the end of the day it's your decision.

Have you though of trying any kind of talking therapies before you go down the medication route?

We aren't of course doctors here so can't really tell you whether you are going to on them forever. It does vary person to person. Some people only need them for short amounts if time, some for slightly longer, some for the rest of their lives.

It really depends I would say on how well you can cope with them. It also might also take awhile to find something that suits you as different medications work differently with different people.

Of course don't let that put you off.

Maybe for now see whether you can get sleepers for the short term and see whether that helps?

Marliee x

D

dylan1994

thanks I have thought that I just was told sleep medicine is bad because it blocks rem sleep. I researched and found anti-depressants help with rem and have been thinking that maybe that rem is something I need to help feel like myself finally because I haven't sleep right in months

pepecat

pepecat

Something's obviously stopping you sleeping properly - any idea what that could be?

If your sleep is affecting your mood, it would be worth finding what the root of that is. Are you stressing about anything? Having trouble getting to sleep?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
mixtape02 So I decided to Post on Reddit (Alcoholism) Depression Forum 4
H Antidepressants Depression Forum 5
D Antidepressants and CBD Depression Forum 1
G problems tolerating antidepressants Depression Forum 5
SnowFairy00 Antidepressants withdrawal Depression Forum 2
L I don't trust antidepressants Depression Forum 6
TylersOutlet24 My on-going journal of different Antidepressants and dosages I have been on & how they have affected me. Do they do anything? Depression Forum 3
M Antidepressants problems Depression Forum 10
M Antidepressants emotion numb Depression Forum 8
M Antidepressants withdrawal disconnect with reality. Depression Forum 1
M Who has experienced serious withdrawal symptoms and side effects on antidepressants? Depression Forum 20
M Share your antidepressants emotion blunting experience here. Depression Forum 23
S Does anyone know why antidepressants only seem to work for me some of the time? Depression Forum 18
Capt Hooke Antidepressants; No Side Effect - No Good effect Depression Forum 1
H Antidepressants for 30 years then stopped Depression Forum 2
M Have Antidepressants Changed Your Personality? Depression Forum 2
M Afraid of emotions numb after antidepressants withdrawal Depression Forum 5
J I'm off antidepressants by coincidence.... Depression Forum 5
M Antidepressants withdrawal Depression Forum 3
M Antidepressants Depression Forum 1
M Anyone stop eating antidepressants, and lost concentrate? Depression Forum 363
Finn the Human I don't want to start taking antidepressants, i don't want to feel numb.. Depression Forum 4
Jleighm Long term effects from antidepressants. Depression Forum 1
A Antidepressants ruining my libido Depression Forum 3
N Antidepressants Depression Forum 7
T Antidepressants Depression Forum 3
N New to antidepressants and in need advice Depression Forum 3
T How to support someone who keeps stopping their antidepressants Depression Forum 2
M how many antidepressants did you try before finding the right one? Depression Forum 2
A Coffee's effect on antidepressants Depression Forum 1
L Stopping antidepressants Depression Forum 2
H Depression, Antidepressants Depression Forum 2
M Antidepressants Depression Forum 1
A Should I take antidepressants? Depression Forum 2
D First GP appointment. Antidepressants with no diagnosis? Dyshymia? Depression Forum 4
P Antidepressants and the grieving process Depression Forum 2
B Changing Antidepressants Depression Forum 10
T Premature quitting antidepressants, strong withdrawal after 4 days, went back to depressed state? Depression Forum 4
S Depressed for the last 2 years. Worth trying antidepressants? Depression Forum 3
P Think my antidepressants have stopped working :/ help Depression Forum 1
R taking antidepressants for a short time only, can it help? Depression Forum 8
P Antidepressants & Emotional Blunting Depression Forum 3
P Combination Of antidepressants Depression Forum 6
L Antidepressants Depression Forum 5
cpuusage Antidepressants May be Worsening Depression, Not Treating it Depression Forum 22
P Antidepressants have stopped working and I'm feeling depressed again Depression Forum 1
N Started my antidepressants again 2 days ago Depression Forum 3
H Depression, Antidepressants, Fibromyalgia Depression Forum 4
DoctorInternet2 Sex drive and antidepressants Depression Forum 28
L Weight loss after stopping antidepressants Depression Forum 1