• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

December blues

katya

katya

Just realised that I joined this forum in December, 2013, used it for a short period, and now I'm back in December, 2014. Anyone else get the December blues?

I think that's partly to do with the time of year, and also because my job becomes incredibly stressful around this time; the Autumn term in high school is an absolute killer. This term, we've had an 8 week half-term, with one week off in the middle, followed by another 8 weeks for the second half-term. For non-teachers, this might not sound so bad, but God, when you're working 50/60 hours a week, 8 weeks is hard to get through. The week off in the middle was just me sleeping for the first 3 days.

I can't wait for Christmas and for this term to be over! I'm sure the reason every culture ever has had a winter festival around this time is because people are generally bloody miserable in the run up to/around December! It's to keep us going, haha!

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Didn't know you were a teacher?
8 weeks is a long time. My Mum is a teaching assistant and I know she gets knackered out when it's an 8 week long half-term, so I can imagine it's much worse for teachers.
Plus, i'm sure kids get very distracted when they know Christmas is coming.

I don't find December too bad, but January time is usually a big challenge for me.
It's incredibly difficult to find the energy to do anything.
The darkness also makes me feel like i'm in a dream-state, which makes me anxious, which makes me feel depersonalised etc.

I do think it's good to have the awareness that the time of year is what's making you feel worse though. In a small way, it makes it easier knowing that eventually the spring will come and things will feel a bit better.

Just try to take good care of yourself. Get lots of sleep, drink lots of warm hot chocolate - that kind of thing. :hug1:

katya

katya

Didn't know you were a teacher?
8 weeks is a long time. My Mum is a teaching assistant and I know she gets knackered out when it's an 8 week long half-term, so I can imagine it's much worse for teachers.
Plus, i'm sure kids get very distracted when they know Christmas is coming.

I don't find December too bad, but January time is usually a big challenge for me.
It's incredibly difficult to find the energy to do anything.
The darkness also makes me feel like i'm in a dream-state, which makes me anxious, which makes me feel depersonalised etc.

I do think it's good to have the awareness that the time of year is what's making you feel worse though. In a small way, it makes it easier knowing that eventually the spring will come and things will feel a bit better.

Just try to take good care of yourself. Get lots of sleep, drink lots of warm hot chocolate - that kind of thing. :hug1:
I agree - January is hard because it feels like ages between Christmas and spring, and it's cold and dark for so, so long.

Yeah, I teach English in a high school. :) Well, I'm a newly qualified teacher, which means I have to pass this year and then I can technically call myself a proper "teacher." I was a Teaching Assistant, and that was hard because you're often working with the kids with low ability and/or poor behaviour all day, every day - that's exhausting, so I do empathise with your mum. It's the bloody marking and assessments that bugger me up at the moment, though.

I agree - it's nice to feel that release when spring rolls around. I don't think I have SAD, but I do think it has an effect on me. It's good to know I'll probably feel this way around Christmas; now I've noticed the pattern, I might try to sort of combat it next year, haha.

Thanks for your kind words. I've joined a gym so hopefully that'll give me some endorphins. Wouldn't be a bad idea to go on a sunbed either!

Hope you're looking after yourself too! I'm not sure what would combat the dream-state feeling. Maybe a special routine to give yourself a sense of reality/being in the world? :hug1:

M

Mastiff mom

Dearjruth, sending you strength and endurance to get through your daunting job.i'm amazed at all you do! Thankfully you can come here and vent and people will understand and root for you. Hang in there! Hugs!

katya

katya

Dearjruth, sending you strength and endurance to get through your daunting job.i'm amazed at all you do! Thankfully you can come here and vent and people will understand and root for you. Hang in there! Hugs!
Aw that's really sweet - thank you. I really appreciate being able to vent. :)

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Just realised that I joined this forum in December, 2013, used it for a short period, and now I'm back in December, 2014. Anyone else get the December blues?
I joined in Dec 2012. Did a few posts then, then next posted Dec 2013 - only started using forum full-time, lol, from about April 2014. Mine is Xmas itself though. Because I am very alone then cos not got usual appts etc to keep me going. I dread the Christmas period itself

W

White Dragon

I joined years ago and have barely posted at all. I just felt the sudden urge to post something close to my heart when looking through a certain thread. Anyway I understand that this time of year is difficult for many. I've been struggling with depression and self harming thoughts. They aren't so bad today though.

Monroe1980

Monroe1980

I seem to get SAD quite early like in September but it starts to ease up when most people get it the worst - January/February. Get a serious burst of energy early spring time. Doing everything I can to beat it this year but having limited effect. :shrug: Funnily enough one of the things that has seemed to help me more than light therapy etc is starting drinking green tea again. Don't think there's a lot of research done on it but really think it's made a difference for me..