• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Debt problems and banks

D

Dollit

I recently applied for a debit card with my bank and was turned down. I've never needed one before and so after 8 years with them I was not too happy about being turned down. I knew that the problem was an outstanding debt from my former bank who, in spite of me telling them of my bipolar disorder and problems that would occur at that time due to illness, they allowed me to get into debt. They have refused to write off the debt which is quite small.

My current bank rang me today to discuss it and, even though they can't offer me a debit card, they have told me that I should qualify for legal aid and that I can take to former bank to court for refusing to write of the debt. My GP wrote to them a long time ago and they basically said it wasn't his business. So I'm going to take their advice and ring a solicitor next week.

And if you want a good bank that is trying to understand mental health issues then I heartily recommend the one that covers the nation.

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

I agree with you totally on that Building society that covers the nation wide they are fab:D

I do not know enough about your situation to comment however I work in criminal law and from what you have said (and from what I remember of my uni lectures) you may well have a good case (though this is obviously a civil matter not criminal).

I think this link may help you and I wish you good luck:)

http://www.communitylegaladvice.org.uk/media/14D/72/A_Step-by-Step_Guide_to_Legal_Aid.pdf

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
F Mental health and debt problems: 'A marriage made in hell' Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
J to much student loan debt making me feel depressed Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
L debt/baliffs Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 13
amathus Debt and mental health (article) Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
Toasted Crumpet Panic over debt collectors rejcting standing order payment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 19
Wiseowl Link To Free Mental Health and Debt Booklet Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
S Debt and Benefit help please? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
dodo777 I had a debt relieve order now I am so gutted. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
angiebib1976 Massive debt.......... Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
E moving debt two low apr credit card? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
E can i get my debt written off? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
F Benefits system causing ‘unneccesary distress’ to people with mental health problems, report says Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
L The people with mental health problems that are being stripped of their benefits Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
D Face-to-face assessment postponed because of DWP computer problems Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
J Any jobs that mental health problems disqualify you from? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
T Atos home visit, my husband has severe mental health problems Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 21
L ESA problems and GP won't give sick note. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
E My voluntary work (problems) Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
B Money Problems Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
Toasted Crumpet Cuts to careers advice service for people with mental health problems Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 18
G Some life problems,In trouble for auto burglaries, Mom mentioned Me going to get evaluated at court, I'm a little worried. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
R I've had to declare a history of mental health problems....worried. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 22
L Do you think those diagnosed with mental health problems have equal opportunities? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
sahasrara problems getting house deposit back Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
Eleison sick leave/annual leave for anorexia physical problems? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
F The most toxic issue facing those with mental health problems is stigma Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 10
A Developers and a London council are excluding anyone with mental health problems from a £500m scheme Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
S Help. Occ health problems Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
D Anyone else having trouble with esa clains and mental health problems ? atos is there to stop the payment not assess you ! replies welcomed and advice Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
R Problems with work / diet related Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
American Boy Food Banks Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
D Just a big f*** you to banks. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
Wiseowl Families turn to food banks as last resort 'not because they are free' Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2