• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Debate about diagnosis --

W

wellness

Hi All,
With no clear "Objective Tests" available for Mental Health Diagnosis .... we are often faced with a lot of prejudicial biases on the diagnosis that we receive... I have even heard of Court cases being fought where the Judge and Juries have had to adjudicate between Bipolar Disorder and Paranoid Schizophrenia being the right diagnosis to be "Awarded" to the Mental Illness afflicted ....
But I think what a lot including the Psychiatric community fails to realize is that whatever diagnosis that is being "Awarded" will that really effect or alter the actual mental illness suffered by a person ? ...The Psychiatric community should first be cognizant and psychologically well-adjusted to getting to the bottom of the "Real Illness" suffered by the afflicted and arrive at an accurate diagnosis, rather that running around making inferences based on social status, gender, racial ethnicity etc to influence the diagnosis... all these so called social influences again will NOT change or alter the actual nature of the illness suffered by the afflicted ...
It may precisely be due to these prejudicial biases in making the diagnosis that Mental Health Treatments are so lagging far behind the rest of the many other medical fields which are accurately detected with things such as objective "Blood Test" etc.
So in the wake that No objective "Blood Tests" exist for Mental Health Diagnosis ... the Diagnosis process used by Psychiatric community needs to be as transparent as an objective "Blood Test" ... and not debates based on social bias on which is a better diagnosis to simply "Confer" or "Award" ... because the illness that afflicts a person will not be influenced by these "Conferred" diagnosis imposed by a Psychiatrist ...
So if you are un-happy and feel that your Psychiatric diagnosis could be wrong, you may very well be RIGHT under the circumstances ... of such social bias and don't worry too much about it as it just means that you need to be aware and accept that you have a mental illness indeed and that is what needs to be treated and not these fifty shades of grey diagnosis labels :)

Cheerio !

F

flatz

I think for a lot of people a diagnoses has its place, it takes away the agonising despair of wondering what is wrong.
But I can also see the side of not having labels attached to certain experiences and to focus on helping via alternate routes to psychiatry.

W

wellness

In short ... these Conferring of diagnosis is nothing but some delusional fools trying to make a "Simple Flu" look like a "Pneumonia" ...

Cheerio !!

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Supernn simply single and l im here two x, systems! No worked :(

P

python232

i was misdiagnosed as a schizotypal but have none of the symptoms mine stress insomnia and hearing voices they are nothing like a schizotypal i have also been given two different antipsychotics that havent worked and just made my problems worse .