• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Dealings with MIND

iffybob

iffybob

Hi I just wondered if anyone has had personal dealings with "MIND" the mental health charity.

Were they good / bad .... did it help ..... ?

I have some ( just a few ) probs ..... :eek:

Thanks for any answers ....... boB .... (y)

A

Apotheosis

For their Literature, Web site & Ethos; I much prefer MIND to all the MH charities. The Reality though is that I haven't found the Local MIND that helpful - long story. As far as I know MIND work on a kind of franchise system; so I think that like all things Mental Health; things can vary a lot from area to area.

I am not as keen on the Web site, & Ethos of Rethink - However; I use their forum, & I have been attending local groups with them for a few years; & in a practical way they have been far more supportive & helpful than MIND.

What problems are you having with them? If you don't mind me asking?

Have you tried any other local services?

iffybob

iffybob

Not

Not having probs with MIND, there is a community office , just round the corner from me, a bit close to home, but I am getting desp fro help, I was wondering if I should try and ask them for help

I have a journal, if you realy want to know the details of what probs I have.

A

Apotheosis

Hi - I have read most of your Journal. It's difficult; I know.

I have largely given up on ever getting the kind of help & support that I wanted & need. I think we have to become our own counsel.

I look for assistance wherever I can find it. You have nothing to loose by contacting MIND & asking them for any help that they can offer - I did, & Rethink, & the Samaritans, & 12 step groups, & Clouds, & many many other people & organisations, most places offer nothing of any real kind of practical help. The most help I have had is from other people like me.

Maybe I'm cynical; but I don't think that much genuine help is ever going to come from orthodox psychiatric services; & I can't see that it ever will. Some people can help with certain things; I suppose that social workers can potentially pull the most strings; if you can get one?

The squeaky wheel does usually get oiled eventually - & it's often the people that make the most noise & fuss that get any of the 'help' available - It doesn't have anything to do with how ill someone is - I don't think it does anyway.

iffybob

iffybob

Me stupid

Yeh I told the CMHT I did not want a social worker in mt first assesment in 2008, (cos I had em as a kid), by my return assessment in 2009, I was going to ask for one, but I got p'd off with what the CPN doing the assessment had writtern down in the 2008, I left just asking for a psychologyst appointment, before I trashed the place......:(

I called the CMHT about one after talking to my GP who told me it was there responcability, they told me they wernt going to do anything until after the psych assessment, and I phoned my GP to leave a msg to see if he could apply fro one, I dont think he has, but I do have an application for an OT assessment in, to assess my houseing needs, and apparently that carries weight. ( the OT is part of social services )

The prob with me helping me is my physical health is patchy ( and not likly to get better), and I dont have the resorces to help me.

And there are not that many peps like me 'around', and I dont know any to ask.

My probs are complexed........., may be they can/cant help, going to email em I think, not tonight prob tmoz........

Thanks for the replys ........ boB ..... (y)

A

Apotheosis

I do realise how hard it must be. These things are complex. I managed to get things into some kind of a balance; it's a fine balance; & I'm exhausted from the work it took. The physical stuff must make things that much harder too.

All we can do is what we can; speak our truth & plod on as best that we can.

The accommodation that I'm in now is my own space & feels homely - it's the first time I have really had my own space that I have felt secure in. It has it's problems & difficulties though. But I am very grateful for a lot. Where we live is very important to our well being, as you know, & for some of us it is more important than for others.

All I would suggest is trying to keep things as simple as possible; & writing a list of your needs - stability; secure & warm accommodation; medical support - & then pester those people that are involved in your care. Advocacy services can be helpful - & you would likely find Advocacy services with a Google search - I think that both MIND & Rethink run Advocacy services; but there is also other Organisations that do depending on Location.

Have you tried the Richmond Fellowship?

http://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk/

Also try a Google search in the local area for 'MH services'.

I have heard good things about the Richmond Fellowship. I know it isn't how it should be; & it's all far from Ideal - but making a noise in the right directions, stating your case in simple terms & asking for the help; the law of averages is that eventually you will come across people that will offer some help & get some things done.

I have found the Citizens Advice Bureau very helpful as well.
I also tried Shelter one time, but I personally didn't rate them.

We may have a shitty hand of cards - but they can still be played. I hope that you get some help; & get some things sorted out, to be in a better position.

iffybob

iffybob

Cheers

I cheeked out the link, the nearest to me is a town over, about 25 miles, and covers the wrong areas of help that I need.....

... I dont know if you read have todays entries on my journal , and read the wiki link, but I am not going to get better, with psyical health, and my mental health is getting more fragile....

.... going to pm you the details, I dont realy want them on screen.....

dib4uk

dib4uk

My dealings with MIND have been reallly good and supportive. I cant praise them enough. :clap::D

J

jamesdean

I was a volunteer for mind in 1999 to around 2002 n we had a ball at the office that I worked in mostly we were all gay which was nice 2 blokes n 3 girls,and the others had no problems with us at all a very theraputic enviorment.

messymoo

messymoo

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I attended a mind drop in centre quite a long time ago now and they were brilliant they had alsorts going on there.

P

prettywoman

Im going to attend a bipolar support group Feb 11th with MIND. Will let you know how I get on. :)

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Seem to be pressured to use mind as i've been asking for direct payments, the money social services pays for care to be given to you to buy your own care, and mind isn't included in that

Felt when some social worker offered to do the paperwork to get me into a mind house that she was more concerned with transferring responsibility for me to mind, they said in some mind support group i atended that theres some very violent people in these mind houses and someone was killed by a samurai sword in one, mind was saying they had a letter saying they should be congratulated for working with mentally ill drug addicts

Not popular with my local mind as i've complained

E

eternaljourney

I've been on the MIND website recently and for Borderline Personality Disorder it says topic removed because it's under review. I'm wondering if they're just going to leave it off now?

E

eternaljourney

Yeah it does say something about in the spring, it would be good to be a kinder description suggesting that people get more support maybe:shrug: