• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Dealing with worsening mental health

S

Starbright16

Hello all,

I hope you can help. I have a sibling who lives with my parents and suffers from psychosis and depression. My sibling was diagnosed a good 4 years back and it was triggered from a diagnosis of thyroid cancer 7 years ago. The cancer diagnosis Was a big shock to our family but luckily she kicked cancers butt through a combination of chemo and radiotherapy and is actually in remission and has been for the past 7 years. My sibling has annual check ups with the oncologist and it’s all good. Fingers crossed. She’s had really good family support throughout. The psychosis diagnosis came a few years later and the mental health team think it was related to the stress and trauma of having cancer at a very young age. She’s been on different drugs throughout and has also come off some in the past few years with the support of her mental health team. She is currently on medication for depression but the past year she has worsened in terms of her mood. Shes also very paronoid and keeps picking fights with my mum and siblings who live at home too. One of my siblings is about to start uni and decided to stay at home to save their own costs and the other is doing GCSEs and the constant fights from her end is really affecting my parents and my siblings including their studies. She can be really Nasty and at the moment she seems to be worsening in terms of mood. She also seems to really dislike our mum all of a sudden and is really cold and nasty to her. She was never like this before and they’ve never had issues like this before. Mum isn’t sure why she keeps starting arguments with her. We don’t have a family history of mental health. What would you suggest we do? Who do we speak to? It’s really affecting our family dynamics and the mental health of the other family members now.

Z

Zoe1

hi Starbright :welcome:

sounds like the whole family needs treatment at this point.
what you could do is copy what you've written there
and take it to your local mental health team for a consultation

seeing as its not just your sibling that is unwell

:grouphug:

M

Megan5

Often If someone is picking fights Im assuming they are not feeling good inside. Depression causes a loss of patience and irritability. Your right it’s not like her because she is struggling with her anxiety and depressed state. It’s the illness talking not her. She needs help and support maybe a medication adjustment. Tell her that your concerned (privately) and what you’ve noticed and you only want the best for her , for her to be happy.

Z

Zoe1

another thing you could do is get her an advocate
who will help her voice her own choices

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P Dealing with an absent/narcissistic mother - what to do when your birthday comes around? Mental Health Experiences 4
Ineedhelp2921 Dealing with mental illness Mental Health Experiences 1
J Dealing with regret Mental Health Experiences 2
A Need help dealing with my mother Mental Health Experiences 3
elliepaige20 Dealing with loneliness? Mental Health Experiences 12
M I dont understand what Im dealing with Mental Health Experiences 4
Q The consolations of philosophy...and mental health Mental Health Experiences 1
JessisMe Stereotyping Those With Mental Illness Mental Health Experiences 14
StrugglingToForget Do you ever feel like your mental health will hold you back forever? Mental Health Experiences 3
M Mental conversations Mental Health Experiences 7
Amelia2020 Do some mental illnesses develop later in life? Mental Health Experiences 3
U Why do even people with mental illnesses think that it's a joke? Mental Health Experiences 32
zula77 Effects of our mental health on our pet dogs? HAS BEEN APPROVED BY STAFF Mental Health Experiences 38
L Mental Health is tricky, but very serious... Mental Health Experiences 1
Amelia2020 Mental illness where moods shift: anger, sadness, etc. Mental Health Experiences 2
C Unknown Mental Illness Mental Health Experiences 2
M Mental health in the family Mental Health Experiences 1
S What it's like when everyone in the house has mental problems Mental Health Experiences 4
T Mental Health Days Mental Health Experiences 5
L Trigger!! Partner blaming me for him being offf work due to my mental health!! Mental Health Experiences 13
H Is it possible for a person unable to work due to mental health to eventually have a successful life and career? Mental Health Experiences 3
jacquelinx Mental hospital vent Mental Health Experiences 4
L mental health assessment Mental Health Experiences 2
I A mix of mental issues being 22 Mental Health Experiences 1
O Weird habits associated with mental illness? Mental Health Experiences 9
Marrex My Mental Health Experiences Mental Health Experiences 1
T Mental health services are disappointing us Mental Health Experiences 13
D How long are mental health act assessments usually Mental Health Experiences 4
anex Grad school and mental health Mental Health Experiences 2
Number 1 G Mental Health Psychiatrists & Home Care Or Other Area's Should Be Sued! Mental Health Experiences 1
S Seeing Duke In Mental Health With No Cure Mental Health Experiences 3
dovah1024 Combating work overload and mental health... Mental Health Experiences 13
T I think my mental health is making me physically sick. is that possible? Mental Health Experiences 2
S Is it gaslighting, or am I just more mental than I thought? Mental Health Experiences 19
A_Wilted_Daisy Eating, sleeping, and mental health Mental Health Experiences 2
T Are sleep problems related to mental problems Mental Health Experiences 2
T I feel depressed. My mental problems are stopping me from living Mental Health Experiences 1
R Are more people with mental illness single and poor? Mental Health Experiences 40
D Mental health scares people. Mental Health Experiences 23
A Work and mental health Mental Health Experiences 4
Soladwor The more I live, the more I realize that not many strangers want to help me get out of this mental rut. Mental Health Experiences 1
P Mental illness and work Mental Health Experiences 14
mysteryloris Mental health professionals Mental Health Experiences 12
B What's the Best advice you have been given (mental health related) Mental Health Experiences 10
jajingna Do most people have mental health problems? Mental Health Experiences 13
A Mental Health state of International Students in Australia Mental Health Experiences 1
A partnership - mental harm service <- not my belief its my experience Mental Health Experiences 1
L What I've learned about my mental health Mental Health Experiences 7
M Mental illness + long distance = difficult Mental Health Experiences 1
Storm in a Teacup Have you picked up any valuable life lessons through having a mental illness? Mental Health Experiences 23