• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Dealing with parents

B

butterflykisses

Do parents have a right to know about mental health struggles/treatment etc.? I’ve been very depressed with also some manic symptoms. I may have said some things impulsively without thinking and got myself in trouble with my dad. I was very irritable earlier and felt suicidal and impulsive.

then later today my dad asked me what’s wrong and pressured me to talk about what I’m struggling with. He totally does not believe that I could be bipolar. I briefly mentioned that I’ve been depressed for months and he said “so what are you gonna do about it?” And there’s no way I’m telling him about medication because I don’t think he agrees with the idea of taking psych meds. Super uncomfortable, also with the fact that he has been emotionally abusive in the past and I don’t really trust him when it comes to talking about anything personal. By the way I’m 19 and in college. I don’t think he needs to know About everything that’s going on.
But what about educating parents about the symptoms? I’m sure at some point it could be helpful for them to know when I’m having an episode or what the triggers are etc. Any thoughts?

ht46

ht46

when I was first diagnosed with psychosis my parents were invited to a parent support group where they were educated, my parents still don't fully understand. But if you ask someone in the psych team about a support group for parents there might be one. If not get diagnosed and bring your parents to a meeting with the psychiatrist they will explain it.

OCDguy

OCDguy

I saw a video on YouTube recently going into depression, what it meant to that person, how peoples' reaction to it affected her, and educating people on how they should approach her when she's depressed... It was very insightful. :) I think the best advice in the video was offering support, people physically putting themselves out there to be helpful when someone doesn't have the motivation and energy to do anything... Depression can be very hard to understand, the obvious answer is to try and motivate someone, which is what I think your Father tried to do. I wonder if there is some way to educate him to see things from your perspective, without making it personal to you (so there's no comeback on you, should he not get it). Hope this helps :)

M

Mentalhealth2021

Parents are sometimes so worried and it’s hard to accept that one’s kids is struggling with mental health. If you can’t talk to him, write him a letter and tell him what you have been going through and what you need from.

M

Mentalhealth2021

when I was first diagnosed with psychosis my parents were invited to a parent support group where they were educated, my parents still don't fully understand. But if you ask someone in the psych team about a support group for parents there might be one. If not get diagnosed and bring your parents to a meeting with the psychiatrist they will explain it.

M

Mentalhealth2021

I am struggling with delusions despite being on meds. How long did it take for your psychosis to clear up?

N

NoOne5

Do parents have a right to know about mental health struggles/treatment etc.? I’ve been very depressed with also some manic symptoms. I may have said some things impulsively without thinking and got myself in trouble with my dad. I was very irritable earlier and felt suicidal and impulsive.

then later today my dad asked me what’s wrong and pressured me to talk about what I’m struggling with. He totally does not believe that I could be bipolar. I briefly mentioned that I’ve been depressed for months and he said “so what are you gonna do about it?” And there’s no way I’m telling him about medication because I don’t think he agrees with the idea of taking psych meds. Super uncomfortable, also with the fact that he has been emotionally abusive in the past and I don’t really trust him when it comes to talking about anything personal. By the way I’m 19 and in college. I don’t think he needs to know About everything that’s going on.
But what about educating parents about the symptoms? I’m sure at some point it could be helpful for them to know when I’m having an episode or what the triggers are etc. Any thoughts?
Hell no. Sometimes parents are the last people who should know!!!

ht46

ht46

I am struggling with delusions despite being on meds. How long did it take for your psychosis to clear up?
Honestly things were quite bad even after 9 years of medication until I changed meds, but the voices and other sever symptoms cleared up after 2 years of meds. Im diagnosed with schizophrenia though so my symptoms are for life but can be treated with medication.

ht46

ht46

Honestly things were quite bad even after 9 years of medication until I changed meds, but the voices and other sever symptoms cleared up after 2 years of meds. Im diagnosed with schizophrenia though so my symptoms are for life but can be treated with medication.
You may need to increase your meds, Im not a psychiatrist. But if youre on a low amount or they try and reduce it too soon they'll need to increase or change med.