• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Dealing with depression after drinking alcohol

M

mycityyourmountain

Hi all,

I have never posted here before even though I have suffered moderate to severe depression for well over a decade. In the past year, luckily, I have found a medication that works for me and started to feel a LOT more stable and a little more positive about things. However, lately I have noticed that whenever I have had something to drink, the next several days to a week are truly awful, almost as bad as the worst periods of my depression, where I barely have the energy to move, can't seem to focus on or enjoy anything, can't eat or sleep much, etc. which makes distracting myself until the hangover and low mood passes (and luckily, these days, it does eventually pass) extremely difficult and painful.

I realize that the best way to deal with this is not to drink at all and that drinking is a bad idea when you suffer from depression but this has only happened the last few times I have been drinking, possibly because (sadly) I never used to notice it much, because I was depressed more or less all the time. Anyway, I was wondering if any one else experiences this even though they are doing better generally thanks to medication, and if you have any tips on how to make the next few days slightly easier to cope with? Again, I realize that the best thing to do is not to drink in the first place but I am wondering if there is anything anyone has tried that has helped to ease alcohol-induced low mood? Any help would be really appreciated!

Thank you to anyone who reads this and tc,

Laci

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Welcome to the forum.
Whilst it's good to hear you have found a medication that's helped you, i'm sorry that you have been suffering from depression for such a long time.

I don't drink often at all - perhaps once every couple of months i'll go out and have a few glasses of wine, but even those occasions are becoming rarer.
But when I have drunk alcohol, i've definitely noticed feelings of depression the day after. I find myself feeling hopeless and very tearful.

I don't think there is a great deal you can do to help when you feel like that, other than accept that it's a side-effect of drinking and to allow yourself to go with the flow. Keep reminding yourself that you're feeling low because of the alcohol and it's not the depression coming back.

Apart from that, I can only really suggest drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated and eat something before you drink, so that you stay hydrated and the alcohol can be absorbed.

Also, allow plenty of time to recover. If you can spend the next day taking it easy, perhaps relaxing whilst watching a film, that might help you nurture yourself better.