• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Dealing with change

Ineedhelp2921

Ineedhelp2921

I'm 23 and I'm still living at home. I've had a rough couple of years with my mental health, bad breakups, redundancies. I've really had to fight for the career I want to work in. And over the past couple of years of building myself up and fighting, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I'm so close to getting a full-time job in something I'm really passionate about. Covid-19 has slowed job opportunities down but now they are starting to pick up a bit and I've even got a job interview (yay!)
My plan was to get a full-time job, save some money for a year or two, and then move out.

However, over the past couple of years, my parents have been talking about moving. They want to live in a rural and secluded area. I don't mind them moving at all. However this year my mum, in particular, seems interested to move as soon as possible. For some reason, there seems to be this rush, almost desperation to do so. I can't move, it would pain me to lose everything I've worked for. I've done some research and there are no jobs down there for my field of work (I work in film) My mum just wants me to move with them. She keeps trying to manipulate me to do so. She's being really forceful about it.
My dad doesn't really want to move either. And he said he would always make sure I'm ok first. I've asked if they could wait a bit, until I find my feet but then my mum keeps trying to convince me and they have been looking at houses. It's been stressing me out so much, I've been crying a lot, haven't been able to sleep either and I've been so anxious about it (my mental health isnt the best)
I'm so scared about it and I just wish things would slow down a bit.
I truly don't feel financially or mentally ready to move out yet. It feels like the rug is being pulled from underneath my feet.

Another thing which might sound odd. I have my dog as well. I love him to bits, hes always at my side. I'm not sure I would be able to have him with me as I don't want to leave him alone a lot. It would have been ideal if my parents and myself didn't live too far away and we were going to share him. If anyone has ever had to leave there pets, I would love some advice on their experience.

Lavender_Rose

Lavender_Rose

Hi sorry you going through so much. But it's great that you have made so many accomplishments over the past few years. I dont think moving is an overnight process usually it takes time to buy a house sell yours. So even if they decided to move toud still have some time. Do you have anyone that you could have as a potential roommate that could help you transition from living at home to living more on your own? That could work out for your dog too because someone else being around would potentially mean he could still be with you. As far as leaving him behind I've never had to do so as I havent moved out but I have mentally prepared myself to leave a few behind because I know they be unhappy with me. They just truly love my parents house and my parents more. Putting that in my mind and thinking it for their own well being is how i would get through that. And knowing that ahead of time I've kinda prepared myself. You can always receive pictures and visit with your dog on your free time. It seems you dad is supportive enough that he would do those things for you.