• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Deal with the alcohol problem or bipolar first?

M

Mom in minnesota

What should be dealt with first? Alcohol abuse (everyday) or bipolar? Or both at the same time?

Kotter

Kotter

bipolar.
the booze does make the meds (if you're on them) work less tho.
so... maybe both.

h24

h24

I'd go with both at the same time if possible. There might be many reasons for substance abuse and bipolar is one of them. Alcohol makes mental health worse and causes other health problems. I find treatment works best when it involves all parts of mental health but it is always ok to start from somewhere.

I don't have bipolar though, I have other mental health issues and has been in a long time relationship with someone with bipolar 1 and previous substance abuse disorder. Your doctors and therapists would be the best judge in this situation

B

BlueWater

Both at the same time

K

keith74

You have to treat the bipolar first. The individual must be brought back to a stable baseline. Once that is done, then you can work on the alcoholism.

C

Comorbidity

Bipolar first, my mother, never diagnosed bipolar was an alcoholic for many many years, her binges came when she was suffering bipolar episodes either way. It isn't ideal that through being made very ill I live with her in all honesty, because she obviously still has bipolar and has obvious bipolar behaviour, although she does present yet further evidence that environment and being away from society and limiting yourself to safe environments dramatically reduces the severity of the episodes and swings.

Wishbone

Wishbone

It depends what you mean by dealt with I suppose. If he's going to hospital both will be dealt with at the same time anyway. If he stays on the outside then how do you ensure he stays on his meds and off the alcohol? (P.S: you can pretty much never take his word for it, I hope you know that much so far)

G

Gremlins_Leg

If possible, both at the same time. Those problems are highly interconected, it’s hardly possible to treat one, without treating another. However, if your alcoholism problem is just a result of coping with bipolar symptoms, and you don’t have serious physiological alcohol dependency, there is a chance that just treating bipolar will treat it too (actually this happened to me: lithium helped for both problems).

Amazingly

Amazingly

Both. At the same time.
Alcohol is used many times as a form of self medication.
It makes things worse.

M

Mom in minnesota

If possible, both at the same time. Those problems are highly interconected, it’s hardly possible to treat one, without treating another. However, if your alcoholism problem is just a result of coping with bipolar symptoms, and you don’t have serious physiological alcohol dependency, there is a chance that just treating bipolar will treat it too (actually this happened to me: lithium helped for both problems).
Thanx

M

Mom in minnesota

Thanx for asking. Sorry for the late response. He is not as manic anymore. He still shows some signs of hypomanic but the grandiosity is gone mostly as well. But he still refuses to take any meds. Thanx

Bosse

Bosse

I did both at the same time, with 5 days overlap. Had no withdrawals, probably thanks to Lamictal. The need for alcohol to cope on every day basis dissapeard in only a few days.