DBT

R

Raychell-1234-x

Hi!
Just curious if anyone has had any break through managing their BPD without having DBT, apparently cos I’m not suicidal I don’t meet the criteria, so after 2 years of waiting I’ve been discharged from the team.
So are there there any other forms of therapy in mean time that have helped ease symptoms?
Thank you in advance for any suggestions! X

Last edited:
W

wheezey

Hello Raychell. I have BPD. I refused DBT due to it being group work which I would be unable to handle. I have had two CAT treatments and have found that to be really helpful. I learned a lot about the reason I feel certain ways and we focused on helping me to feel safe.

R

Raychell-1234-x

Aw thank you so much for your reply, firstly so pleased to hear you’ve managed to get some help & comfort throughout this, that’s amazing! I’ve never heard of that therapy before so that’s something I’ll have to look into, is it something that can be accessed by the GP or is it private?

W

wheezey

I got it on the NHS through my psychiatrist. I am not sure if you could access through your GP. It is worth asking about it though as I think it is brilliant. I wish you lots of luck.

R

Raychell-1234-x

Dialectical behavioural therapy. Apparently helps you learn to cope with the symptoms of BPD

Z

ZoZo40

Yesterday I had to go for a screening at my CMHT for a two day life skills group that you have to do first before being considered for referral for DBT. I finished CAT therapy last March, and whilst I found it useful being able to see a therapist once a week for six months, it didn't provide me with the skills DBT does for managing EUPD more effectively. After CAT ended I seemed to spiral and was discharged from CMHT for six months as they said I needed consolidation from them. I am now back under CMHT and I've been accepted onto the life skills group. I'm not thinking DBT is going to be the magic answer, but I hope I can one day manage myself much more positively than I currently do.