• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

DBT V schema therapy

H

Happygolightly

I am at the end of my rope literally... and am trying to go way out of my area to do DBT group work and therapy privately miles away. The therapist said they will run it this year but the clinic is changing to Schema therapy as there is more evidence for this. Does anyone have any experience of both and what do they think? I know I need to start with DBT as I need to enhance missing skills.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I haven't had experience with either, but I do want to say that I have heard really good things about schema therapy.

Is it possible that you'll be able to join the DBT group before they stop running it?
I think it's certainly worth it and if you don't get on, maybe the schema will be more suited to you.

H

Happygolightly

The DBT is 3 hours driving each way and they are moving the schema the psych tried hard to persuade me onto that. Apparently DBT is available in my area but only if I have an eating disorder! So a therapy designed for BPD is not available for BPD sufferers… bonkers...

T

Tiddle

Hi Happygolightly, can I ask where you have found DBT privately as I'm needing to do the Same as the NHS decided they couldn't deal with me.