• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

DBT seems to be working

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Hi. I started a conversation on DBT skills in the talk therapies forum here. I used examples to clarify what skills can be useful and how and I plan to add more. Currently, I'm in my third cycle through the program and find it very useful for depression and anxiety. If you have any specific questions about the therapy, please let me know.

P

PacMan1968

She has only had two sessions and has said it’s very hard going. I think she has quite a few more sessions but she hasn’t told me how many. But I do know it will be finished by June cos she’s having an operation then. She also says your given work to do at home. And the therapy is within a group. But you don’t speak out about your problems. There’s no way she can recommend anyone as it’s all arranged thru her p/doc. Looking back we can see she started showing signs in childhood. She has dyspraxia so we put a lot of her problems down to that. When she was 10 we found out she’d been abused and her behaviour and moods became very unstable but it wasn’t still she was in her twenties that she started getting care form the MH team. She’s now 35 and been waiting a long time for this treatment. She’s also had EMDR which didn’t seem to be of help to her
Thanks for replying , why did it take 10 years for MH to start helping her? And why has she only started DBT some 25 years later, was DBT unknown back then? I know it’s a hard question but what other BPD traits did your daughter exhibit?

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
MH never works how you want it to. I first took her to the GP wh n she was 14 after an attempted suicide and the GP wsnt interested. She was just attention seeking. The same about her weight problem. Nowadays they would have been taken care off. But not back then. She was not offered any help till she was in her twenties and that was mainly medication. It was only when she was talking about my MH probs that they started to take her seriously. She has had lots of therapy, not much has helped. But now she really wants to get control of her illness.

P

PacMan1968

Many Thanks again for the information, that was sad, however even today, even within 8 weeks the NHS do not take this illness serious enough and their support for us was very poor., it took 2 weeks to see PRISM and after the initial assessment they told us to go to relate :) I will be glad to hear as much information that you are prepared to give to how well the DBT therapy works, and to understand what "works" actually means in terms of this illness.

F

Flameheart

MH never works how you want it to. I first took her to the GP wh n she was 14 after an attempted suicide and the GP wsnt interested. She was just attention seeking. The same about her weight problem. Nowadays they would have been taken care off. But not back then. She was not offered any help till she was in her twenties and that was mainly medication.
It is still like that, but I guess its hit and miss, I haven't had any proper help since my last suicide attempt which was about a year ago now and I know someone who struggles with anorexia or something, but doctors don't take it seriously because she isn't 'skinny enough'

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I suffered anorexia from 1978 and was weighing five and half stone at three months pregnant. I never knew I had anorexia till several years later. It took me 12 years to overcome it. And that was without any medical intervention. I was just told by the GP that I needed to put weight on. Fortunately both my daughters were born healthy

megirl

megirl

There's so much bloody incompetence.
I'm just so lucky we seem to have a good MH service where I live.
It certainly isn't like this everywhere in this country.
Gosh over Xmas one of the crisis team nurses gave me a 'courtesy call' I had had a lot happen in the last year. But yeh.
I have had CBT in the past but it wasn't that indepth really.
Don't think I ever got much out of it.
Guess it depends on how good the therapist is

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
That’s so true if you don’t fit into he box they have made for you they don’t know what to do with you. I never fitted into any of there boxes

F

Flameheart

I've been referred to a better mental health centre locally but its still a long wait to get the therapy I need

have you ever heard of CAMHS, they have a reputation of being really bad, I had to go there when I was 16 and they do really make you feel even worse, I don't know anyone who's had a good experience with them, they put me off reaching out for help for a long time

megirl

megirl

The crisis team must of had to much time on their hands,
I am grateful, but there would be people they should have been spending time checking on
They probably wanted to chayt??
Wow Daffy you have been through much,
Without the help you deserved makes me shake my head
x

SwanLake

SwanLake

After years of difficult conversations with my daughter diagnosed with BPD. She has recently started DBT and the difference is amazing. We talked for an hour and not once did she shout or take what I was saying as an insult. I don’t know if she’s just going thru a good phase of if it’s the DBT, but she’s even invited me out for afternoon tea for my birthday on Thursday. It was a pleasure to hear her so happy.
It will be the DBT. It sounds like she’s on the Interpersonal Skills Module.

Attachments

SwanLake

SwanLake

She has only had two sessions and has said it’s very hard going. I think she has quite a few more sessions but she hasn’t told me how many. But I do know it will be finished by June cos she’s having an operation then. She also says your given work to do at home. And the therapy is within a group. But you don’t speak out about your problems. There’s no way she can recommend anyone as it’s all arranged thru her p/doc. Looking back we can see she started showing signs in childhood. She has dyspraxia so we put a lot of her problems down to that. When she was 10 we found out she’d been abused and her behaviour and moods became very unstable but it wasn’t still she was in her twenties that she started getting care form the MH team. She’s now 35 and been waiting a long time for this treatment. She’s also had EMDR which didn’t seem to be of help to her
As I understand it EMDR would only be suitable if she had nightmares and visions of her trauma as it moves the trauma from one area of the brain to another. It’s very successful I’m things like PTSD whereas if you bury things deep in the mind, DBT seems more appropriate.