• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

DBT seems to be working

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
After years of difficult conversations with my daughter diagnosed with BPD. She has recently started DBT and the difference is amazing. We talked for an hour and not once did she shout or take what I was saying as an insult. I don’t know if she’s just going thru a good phase of if it’s the DBT, but she’s even invited me out for afternoon tea for my birthday on Thursday. It was a pleasure to hear her so happy.

Lostinthestatic

Lostinthestatic

I’m so happy for you and her! Just gotta keep on keeping on

P

PacMan1968

After years of difficult conversations with my daughter diagnosed with BPD. She has recently started DBT and the difference is amazing. We talked for an hour and not once did she shout or take what I was saying as an insult. I don’t know if she’s just going thru a good phase of if it’s the DBT, but she’s even invited me out for afternoon tea for my birthday on Thursday. It was a pleasure to hear her so happy.
Hi I have a girlfriend just starting DBT. And really interested in getting feedback from people like you...

How many sessions has she had? How long has/had your daughter started showing BPD symptoms ? How many do you think she will need? Do you anticipate they will be on going?
Will you be able to recommend the therapist your daughter used?

F

Flameheart

What is DBT mean? Thank you
its a therapy designed for bpd, but also can be helpful for those with other mood disorders and anyone who may act impulsively or has a history of self harm/suicide attempts because it teaches you better ways to manage and control your thoughts and reacting in ways that is rational to the situation

people can probably give a better description than I have, that's just my take based on what I've read and heard as I haven't been assigned to a dbt group yet

L

Lonely Planet

I'm so pleased the DBT is working for your daughter.
I'm having DBT but one-to-one with a psychotherapist.
Initially I got worse but that was perhaps other aspects of the therapy rather than the DBT skills themselves.
I'm also really hard on myself so if I can't 'do' the skills straightaway I get angry and frustrated and then use my usual unhealthy coping skills. Then beat myself up over that and so the cycle continues.
I am having to learn it's ok not to be able to 'do' stuff and that really small steps are fine and breaking the cycle just once is a step forward and something to build on.

J

Jules5

Dialectical Behavior Therapy I finally google the acroynm it is change negative thinking into positive thinking like two opposite polars Cool I am so glad I read your post

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

It's called CBT in the UK, cognitive behaviour therapy, it's a lot down to challenging & changing irrational thoughts & behaviours into rational/positive thoughts & rational behaviours.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
The only problem so far my daughter has come across is that it’s written in American terminology and some times can come across as tho it’s others that need to change . When I said that sounded as if I needed to change my attitude to her , she agreed and said how it’s phrased is wrong. Think the psychologist needs to do a little research on his work

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Staff Member on Leave
It's called CBT in the UK, cognitive behaviour therapy, it's a lot down to challenging & changing irrational thoughts & behaviours into rational/positive thoughts & rational behaviours.
CBT is different from DBT, they're not the same thing.

J

Jules5

You ate right about them not being the same per se. A women came up with DBT to treat Borderline Personality Disorders and it has allot of great success. Her thinking is line up the opposite polarities and get things working in order again

P

PacMan1968

Sorry to repost but I’m desperate to hear from you “Hi I have a girlfriend just starting DBT. And really interested in getting feedback from people like you...

How many sessions has she had? How long has/had your daughter started showing BPD symptoms ? How many do you think she will need? Do you anticipate they will be on going?
Will you be able to recommend the therapist your daughter used?”

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
She has only had two sessions and has said it’s very hard going. I think she has quite a few more sessions but she hasn’t told me how many. But I do know it will be finished by June cos she’s having an operation then. She also says your given work to do at home. And the therapy is within a group. But you don’t speak out about your problems. There’s no way she can recommend anyone as it’s all arranged thru her p/doc. Looking back we can see she started showing signs in childhood. She has dyspraxia so we put a lot of her problems down to that. When she was 10 we found out she’d been abused and her behaviour and moods became very unstable but it wasn’t still she was in her twenties that she started getting care form the MH team. She’s now 35 and been waiting a long time for this treatment. She’s also had EMDR which didn’t seem to be of help to her