• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

DBT for none-borderliners.

Blooming

Blooming

Hello, I have read that one of the best methods for helping borderliners is through DBT-therapy. Recently they have found out that DBT also can work for none-borderliners. I am NOT a borderliner. I am a "depressed and PTSD-er" on my way to recovery. I am telling this because I bought the book "The expanded Dialectical Behavior Therapy - Skills Training Manual". I think that there is much to be learned from this book. I hope I am welcome in this forum without the borderline diagnose. This is probably the only forum where the chance is great for meeting other people trying to use DBT-skills. And I think it is honest to tell, so that when others talk to me, they understand that perhaps my problems are different (more or less), even if there is not one person who has exactly the same problems as another. We are all unique persons. :)

WhiteHydrangeas

WhiteHydrangeas

I am a non-borderline as well. I went through an Intensive Outpatient Program for DBT. I cannot say enough good things. It really helps you to understand how we make the decisions we do, underlying reasons for emotions that come up, and how to realistically approach those emotions and see them for what they are: a response to a perception that is created in the mind. It’s not quite that simplistic, but I would definitely go ahead and learn about it.

One thing I should mention is that for me, it was much more effective to be in a group rather than reading a manual, mainly because of the feedback from the other members. Maybe you can find an online version of a group led by a qualified facilitator.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Blooming

Blooming

There is no group where I live, so I have to do it alone (and talk with a therapist). For the moment I read about all the tools in the DBT-manual and I am on my way to learn Mindfulness.

Z

Zaz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
When.you get DBT the group part is equally as important as the 1 to 1 work with a therapist. Not an easy thing to get either where I live. It's taken me 2 years to get to the DBT stage and now there are no groups it's all being done online.

Blooming

Blooming

When.you get DBT the group part is equally as important as the 1 to 1 work with a therapist. Not an easy thing to get either where I live. It's taken me 2 years to get to the DBT stage and now there are no groups it's all being done online.
Thank you so much for trying to help! :)

I understand the need for the group when people with Borderline Personality Disorder shall learn to slowly let go of an "impulsive lifestyle" that they have not developed of their own will. Their life can be a rollercoster and the possibility to meet others with similar problems in a group and learn from them, will be good.

I do not have a BPD diagnose, but I still need people to talk to. That is why I posted this thread. I want to talk, but I am honest. I want people to understand that I have my problems, but I do not share in their special sufferings. That can be an important distinction to know about in the case someone with the BPD diagnose asks for help and I am among those who answer. I'm not an "insider" in this group, but of course an "outsider" who looks at things from the outside can sometimes be of help to others as well.

I have some problems related to a former PTSD diagnose that talk therapy did not help for. I have got good therapy. It is enormously good to be understood by a therapist, but still there is some patterns left that talking cannot help. Therapists work according to the schools they are educated in (Psycodynamic, CBT, Gestalt therapy and so on). If there is some problems that do not fit into their frames for the work they do, they have nothing to offer.

I developed some "mantras" myself for how to cope with the symptoms that did not fit my therapist's frame. They worked because I can be very persistent. I had decided that they should work and fought for that. I got my results. Later on I found a Dbt app and saw that there were items there that I probably could use. I bought the book/manual for DBT exercises and strongly believe that parts of these exercises will help me with my "rest-PTSD" symptoms.

What I need in this forum is to be able to find people who understand the language of DBT. If I talk about O2E or PLEASED in the depression forum, most people will not understand me. Many people here will understand what I mean.
To the real BPD people: I admire your will to try to make your lives better! :flower2:

Z

Zaz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It's always good to read about other people's experiences and I'm sure you will find plenty of good advice and different methods of ways to work through problems on here. I wish you good luck on your journey 👍🙂👍

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Bipolar Forum 2